Sunday, November 22, 2015

30 Day Challenge Day XXII

Favorite in Book Song

"Though here at journey's end I lie,
In darkness buried deep,
Beyond all towers strong and high,
Beyond all mountains steep,
Above all shadows rides the sun,
And stars forever dwell,
I will not say the day is done,
Nor bid the stars farewell."

Sam's song when he thinks for sure that Frodo is dead in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.  He catches a glimpse of the stars, and they encourage him to go on.

I listened to a really interesting lecture by world-renowned Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey in which he talked about the significance of stars (and other things) in Tolkien.


He actually directly quotes this song in the lecture and I always find myself saying it along with him.

2 comments:

  1. THE ROAD GOES EVER ON AND ON!!! My favorite in book song!!! *squeals* :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE ROAD GOES EVER ON AND ON!!! My favorite in book song!!! *squeals* :D

    ReplyDelete