Tuesday, May 2, 2017

The Frustrating Satisfaction of Bullet Journals

I've been on Pinterest for awhile now (give me a follow if you'd like!) and I still barely understand how it works.

But I have noticed some fairly popular things popping up on my home page area thingy (whatever it's called...) including something called "bullet journals".  "Nine Bullet Journal Ideas", "Monthly Bullet Journal Design", "Best Bullet Journal Layouts", etc. etc.

I looked into this "bullet journal" craze, and apparently it's a planning notebook type thing for lists and calendars.

You should see some of the designs people come up with and post all over Pinterest!  The artistic precision and perfection--I would be so nervous to write in any of these, because what if you screw up???

Image result for bullet journals
This one's particularly ironic because it says "seek progress, not perfection"
while being so clearly perfectly designed.
Image result for bullet journals
HOW DO PEOPLE WRITE IN SUCH STRAIGHT LINES
Image result for bullet journals
What brand of perfect markers do these people use?

Bullet journals are awesome, and wouldn't your life just be so put together if you could keep such a neat journal?  I mean, you'd be perfect, right?

I mean, no that's not true.  Nobody's perfect and it can be discouraging to see such awesome work when your own journal is a pile of scribbles about random stupid teen thoughts shooting through your brain (*cough cough* not referencing anything in particular *looks forlornly at my journal across the room*).

My friend wants to start a journal but keeps seeing things like this, and then never starts because he knows his won't be as cool and it's discouraging.

For everyone out there who is getting down because there is something (anything!) that looks like you can't do it, or that you'll mess it up, don't let that prevent you from starting!

Image result for day one or one day

My journal is a complete scramble of half-intelligible English, and I adore reading it over and over again because it has my mind sketched out in it.  I write in it all the time even if I only have a moment to jot something down precisely because I don't have to stress about being correct or aesthetic.

If you keep a bullet journal and it looks really beautiful, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but I just want everyone to know that it's better to do something imperfectly than never do it at all.  

The same goes for anything; violin, tennis, running, braiding hair, everything!

Plus the more you do something, the better you get.  My journals are going to get better the more I write in them, and maybe someday stuff like the bullet journal will just flow out naturally.  But every expert was once a beginner!

Image result for every expert was once a beginner

No comments:

Post a Comment