Wednesday, April 19, 2017

ABC Book Tag

Spotted this epic tag on Lois Johnson's You Me and a Cup of Tea and stole it like a thief in the night.  I just think it's a really awesome idea, so feel free to steal it yourself if you'd like.

Author you've read the most books from



Maybe C.S. Lewis?  I don't really read books just because they're by an author I like most of the time, so it's hard to say.  The Chronicles of Narnia books are just really short, plus the short Space trilogy and that's ten books right there--and the Screwtape Letters and the Four Loves...

Image result for cs lewis

Best sequel ever



I feel like good sequels are legitimately not a thing.  I honestly can't think of a single example where the sequel improved on the original.

The most acceptable sequel ever is The Two Towers, though I hesitate to really call it a sequel just because it was written in conjunction with the first one and it was just released a little bit later.

Image result for the two towers


Currently reading


You can always find what I'm reading on the side bar, and true to fashion, I am in the midst of Anna Karenina and Don Quixote.  Don Quixote has taken a back seat because it keeps falling apart  in my backpack and I don't want to wreck it.

Image result for anna karenina book cover

Drink of choice while reading



Tea for two
And me for you
And books for days
That is the way

(Happy national poetry month XD)

Image result for tea

E-reader or physical book


Physical 

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school




Peeta--because he is more or less a pushover initially and high schoolers are emotionally frail and need someone they can rule over and manipulate.

Image result for peeta


Glad you gave this book a chance


Le Morte D'Arthur because that book is quality.

Hidden gem book



Le Fantome de l'Opera--often overlooked in favor of the musical, but actually really fantastic on its own.


Important moment in your reading life


Reading The Lord of the Rings introduced me to the world of literary criticism, the art of writing, and the fact that writing is actually a for real skill you have to train yourself to get good at.  I never would have found medieval lit without it, and I never would have started blogging.

Image result for lord of the rings


 Just finished


Better Off Friends, my easy as pie contemporary for when I needed to give my brain a rest.

Kind of books you won't read


Like Lois said, erotica is off the table.

Longest book you've read



War and Peace, 1400 pages.  Totally worth it and an amazing book I seriously love.

Image result for war and peace


Major book hangover because of...



It takes basically a year to recover from Les Miserables. You will not be able to move on with your regular life, just saying.

Number of bookcases you own 



Two--one giant in the basement and one regular for my room.

One book you have read multiple times


This is gonna sound super weird, but every time I read The Silmarillion I add a tally to the wall of my closet.  I think I'm around eight tallies maybe?

Preferred place to read


In bed, in the rain.

Those two work separately, but also at the same time.

Image result for rain


Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read


"Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart; and remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West, and cometh from the Sea."
GONDOLIN FTW!


 Reading regret


Any time I spent contemplating reading, actively reading, or pondering the works of Mark Twain.  Absolute waste of time, I may have lost IQ points.  I seriously dislike Mark Twain.

Series you started and need to finish (all books are out in series)


I never finished the Lunar Chronicles because Winter wasn't out yet when I was reading it, and then I forgot everything by the time the book came out and didn't feel like rereading.  I probably never will finish that series.

Image result for lunar chronicles


Three of your all-time favourite books


The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King ;)

Unapologetic fangirl for..



All things Tolkien.  

Very excited for this release more than all the others


Ha, reading books as they come out.  Ha, reading books by living authors...(*cries in corner because she can't relate*)

Worst bookish habit


SKIMMING!  It has become such a problem for me because I read too quickly and my mind wanders and I don't retain information.

Image result for reading

X marks the spot: start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book


Utopia by Sir Thomas Moore.

Your latest book purchase


A giant collection of all of Jane Austen's novels and a huge book of all of Charles Dickens.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late)


The Once and Future King by T.H. White.  I got it on a Friday, and read it all night long.  I regret nothing.

Steal this tag if you like--happy reading!

Image result for reading

4 comments:

  1. What are these 'living authors' of which you speak?
    Oh hey! Anna Karenina. I'm currently reading that too, but I have so many things going at once that it is only a bit every now and then. I like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should read Mark Twain's Joan of Arc, it is quite good. I haven't read anything else of his, but I quite liked Joan.

      Delete
  2. I'm TOTALLY stealing this... I SHALL AVENGE THEE, LOIS! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to steal this too...like a thief in the night. ;)

    Huh, what do you think about the Chronicles of Narnia sequels?

    Someone recommended Anna Karenina to me and since I was slightly disappointed by War and Peace, I think I'd like to read it to give Tolstoy another shot without the 1,300+ page obligation. xD

    Haha, I like you chose Peeta just to manipulate and control. xD I just started reading The Hunger Games and I wish he were a little more...dynamic? He's not awful though.

    LOTR YES. An important point in my life as well.

    The Les Mis hangover, I knoww.

    I love that you tally your Silmarillion reads! And I'm impressed you've read it that many times.

    Rain is meant for reading. ;)

    Have you tried Tom Sawyer?

    Ahhh, yes, it took me a while to finish Winter. I have to say, for being over 800 pages long, it wasn't quiite the satisfying and epic conclusion I was craving. But the previous installments are almost sufficient on there own merit as fantasy re-tellings.

    "Ha, reading books as they come out. Ha, reading books by living authors...(*cries in corner because she can't relate*)" SAME, friend, same. I like to say the only good author is a dead author. xD Not really, of course, but so many of them are.

    WHAT. ALL of Charles Dickens? Like, how does that fit in your room? How can you carry that places?

    ReplyDelete