Friday, April 14, 2017

Life Update Via Gifs

Life Update Time!


I have huge news that I completely ecstatic about...ready?  READY???

Image result for what is it gif

So you know how I did that post about playing melodic minors?  Well I explained in that post that I was working on a melodic minor scale for a big audition I had coming up.  Auditions were last Friday, and I was really stressed out about it.

My initial thoughts after finishing were, "whew, glad that's over!" and "I don't think I'll get in."

HOWEVER

Results came in yesterday, and somehow I auditioned into my school's top orchestra!  I was honestly really surprised, but I am super happy about it!

Image result for happy office gif

This top orchestra is so professional and I've wanted to be a part of it ever since I saw my first orchestra concert (when I was a baby...XD)  The girls get to wear these gorgeous floor length gowns and the guys wear the handsomest tuxedos.

My school has a really strong performing arts program and recently this particular orchestra has really gotten super good, and my jaw was practically dropped the whole time I was listening to them at their last concert.  They have a few members who have national recognition, particularly a couple of cellists who have so many awards.  I am so honored that I'll get to play with them next school year!

Image result for jaw drop gif

There are two minor downsides to moving up a) I'm going to be separated from some of my other orchestra friends who didn't get in and b) things are going to be really hard!  Next year I'm slated to take two AP classes (the rest HP) and now I will have all this orchestra music to learn!  I love a good challenge though.

And getting into this orchestra has really boosted my confidence, and I feel a lot better about auditioning for pit orchestra for my school's fall musical.

So yeah, I am really super pumped about this recent accomplishment, and I have more good news!

Image result for more good news gif

The A string on my violin wore out from too much use!  Yay!  That's a good thing because even though strings are easy to change, it's one more thing about my instrument we have to fix and add that to a couple other problems my violin has been having, and combine that with my recent accomplishment, I think that I may be on my way to getting to upgrade my violin model!

Image result for woohoo gif

Other news...

So we're now in the Triduum, which is pretty much the best time of the liturgical year.  The Holy Thursday mass is definitely my favorite of the year.  I play violin with my church's choir every Sunday, and they brought in some other musicians for the Triduum and things are sounding really awesome.  So exciting!

My sister is due May 31st, so we threw her a baby shower which she loved.  We played this game where you pin a clothes pin to your shirt and if you hear anyone utter the word "baby" at any time during the party you get to take their clothespin for yourself.  I became the reigning champion of this game, so I was pretty happy with that.

Image result for i am victorious gif

My other sister's fiance is going to have his rite of initiation into the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil this Saturday and I am so happy for him!  He's really been studying a lot of theology through RCIA and he read the entire catechism over Lent!  We're travelling up to where they live tomorrow so we can witness his confirmation and first communion.

Track is going pretty well.  I cut two whole seconds off my 200 m dash at the last meet.  I had to run with the Varsity girls and I think that going with people that were so good really pushed me to do my best.

Image result for running gif

Projects I'm working on:


Violin - Theme from Schindler's List and Concert Repitoire (La Dance Petite by Debussy, Serenade for Strings by Tchaikovsky, and Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tarrega) and of course lots of three octave scales and misc. vibrato and technique stuff

Piano - First Step (the crazy Interstellar arrangement), Pie Jesu, Kiss the Rain, and others sporadically

Writing - Short story for my creative writing class that I'll post here if it gets once it's done and my journal of course

Image result for journaling gif

Stuff I'm into:


Walking to the library with podcasts--it's that time of year again!

Anna Karenina--I'm about a hundred pages in and it is super well written IMO.

This quote: "Art is never finished, only abandoned."  -Leonardo da Vinci

Image result for walking with headphones gif

Looking to le future:


I wanna try out for the musical in the fall, probably for pit orchestra but maybe for stage performance as well.

I wanna get all my three octave scales down over the summer.

I want to try academic decathlon this school year--you know, just to add more stress haha.

Gotta get some quartet music (and a viola player for that matter...)

I hope that things on your end have been going well, and know that I pray for all my readers!  Keep on keeping on, and remember: petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.

Image result for bird building nest gif

8 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! And congratulations on your placement into the orchestra. I got to play in an orchestra last year--no gowns unfortunately, but it was amazing to be part of a song and to hear it playing out all around me. Congratulations to your sister's fiance too; it's so beautiful when catechumens come into the Church. Our parish had fifteen catechumens this year and a lot of them were really young so it was adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy Easter to you as well :)
      That's awesome--I love seeing people enter the Church even if it does at an hour plus to mass. It's totally worth it!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting into the top orchestra!!!

    I can't stop watching the "I'm the winner" gif and hearing it in David Tennant's voice. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YAYYYYYYY! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOUUUUUUUUU! :')

    The ENTIRE time I was reading this I was gasping with excitement(MUCH to Frodo's annoyance...)
    I'm really SINCERELY happy to hear all of these pleasant things happening in your life right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter! Alleluia, He is risen!

    Congratulations on making it into your school's orchestra! It sounds so prestigious - what a remarkable accomplishment!

    And that's wonderful that you have a new niece or nephew on the way! And that your future brother-in-law was received into the Church! Good for him! The Easter Vigil Mass is utterly amazing, isn't it?

    - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

      Oh the mass was absolutely *gorgeous*. Normally I just go to my local parish for Easter mass (which is beautiful in it's own right), but going up to the cathedral this year was spectacular. I think I may have to go to mass at the cathedral more often...

      Delete