Monday, April 3, 2017

Lexicon

Lexicon by Max Barry is a thriller about the mind, the power of words, and the destruction they can have.

It received a lot of praise apparently--there is an excessive amount of quotes and reviews from all sorts of publications both on the back of my copy and for about two full pages in the front of the book.

Image result for lexicon book cover

The story follows two characters, Wil and Emily whose stories are told separately through different chapters, all with limited third person but with focuses on the two characters varying.

The story starts off with a very suspenseful scene in which people attempt to take knowledge from Wil, but don't do it quite right.  Wil is then swept up in an intense escape, but he doesn't even know quite what he is running from--or towards.

Emily was taken from her life on the streets to learn how to harness the power of words and influence other people.  She goes to a special academy, and becomes so powerful that her life takes a strange and dark turn.

Image result for emily and wil lexicon

I haven't read a true thriller in awhile that is mainly focused on action, and this story certainly has a lot of twists and turns when it comes to physical action.  The characters are well developed, though I didn't find them particularly likable just because they were rather immoral at some points in the book.

I liked the mysterious aspect of the story that contributed to the suspense, though I figured out the main twist about fifty pages before it was meant to be revealed.

It was face paced reading and made for a pretty good tale.

I had a couple issues just with the excessive language used throughout, where the f-bomb is dropped pretty much every page, and certain immoral scenes come up a couple times.  I found this a bit distasteful, but if you're able to handle it, I think the story is alright and short enough to be worth it.

Have you read Lexicon?  Let me know what you thought.

Image result for emily and wil lexicon

2 comments:

  1. interesting. I'll add this to my list of random contemporary books to read when I have a few hours.

    ReplyDelete