Saturday, April 29, 2017

Je Suis "Tagged"

I have been tagged by Meredith over at On Stories and Words!  Woot!  I love being tagged so much.

I was going to write a review for Brave New World today, but don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow with all my thoughts on that book that I just read in one sitting...

On to the tag!

Image result for here we go gif

1. What book has been on your shelf the longest?

Probably The Swiss Family Robinson, which I got a long time ago and have had ever since.

2. What is your current read, your last read, and the book you'll read next?

Things have gotten rather sloppy on this front.  I'm technically reading Anna Karenina, but I have to turn it into the library today because there are people waiting so I can't renew it.  I am hoping to either use my mom's copy (which is a different translation--angst) or listen to it on audio book because I have two other books waiting on deck to be read (1984 and Imagine Me Gone) which also need to get back to the library.

I interrupted Anna Karenina with Brave New World because it's due at the library today as well.  Anna Karenina itself was an interruption of Don Quixote because I hit a patch of time where I couldn't focus enough to carefully read that book and I needed a break (so I chose Tolstoy...why...?).

Image result for anna karenina book cover

3. What book did everyone like, but you hated?

According to bookriot.com, Pride and Prejudice and The Life of Pi both make the list of top 25 most hated books.  That is completely bogus--both those books are super awesome!  Pride and Prejudice is a beautiful character study and sketch of romantic dynamics, and The Life of Pi is a superb look at the line between the human and the animal.  I honestly can't believe those books are hated.

Image result for the life of pi

4. What book do you keep telling yourself you'll read, but you probably won't?

Anything by Mark Twain.  I'm sorry.  Everytime I mention him, wonderful, good-hearted readers suggest a Mark Twain book.  The truth is that I probably will procrastinate on his work as long as I can and will die before I scrape that low on the TBR list.  The fact is that of all the beautiful books in the world, his just are not a priority to me.  But I do appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Image result for mark twain

5. What book are you saving for retirement?

Why read later when you can read now???

6. Last page: read it first or wait 'til the end?

I always read the last sentence because it's always the most dramatic and gets me hyped up for the book.  Also because it gives me something to look forward to.

Image result for i'm a rebel gif

7. Acknowledgement: waste of paper and ink, or interesting aside?

Eh, I read them, but it's not super important to me.  For older authors like Tolkien and Tolstoy, notes like this are pretty interesting, but for contemporary authors, it's basically just a string of names that I don't know.  Maybe in the future people will look back and know all those people and make connections, but I guess I don't understand them as they are now.


8. Which book character would you switch places with?

Jane from Pride and Prejudice.  I love Bingley.

Image result for bingley smile gif


9. Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life? (Place, time, person?)

The Hobbit reminds me of fifth grade, The Mists of Avalon, Les Miserables, and War and Peace all remind me of eighth grade.

10. Name a book that you acquired in an interesting way.

My friend and I went to a church lock-in thing in middle school.  They had one room set off from the rest for kids to go to Eucharistic Adoration throughout the night.  There was a table with miscellaneous objects strewn about it, and I found the most gorgeous prayer book on it, which they gave to me for free.  It was awesome.

11. Have you ever given a book away for a special reason to a special person?

Give...away...a...book????  You would have to be REALLY special to me in order for me to give you one of my books.

I've given a book to a friend as a present, but I bought it specifically for that reason.  Once a book has been absorbed onto my bookshelf, it's gonna stay there for life ;)

Image result for my precious gif


12. Which book has been with you the most places?

The Silmarillion--through thick and thin, hot and cold, to school, tennis tournaments, mock trial competitions, the beach, roadtrips...everywhere.

13. Any required reading in high school that wasn't so bad later?

The Taming of the Shrew wasn't terrible, and To Kill A Mockingbird was acceptable.  We did beat it into the ground by over-analyzing it and looking for things that TBH were not intended to be there (we spent upwards of three months on that book alone) which kind of ruined it, but it was an okay book anyway.

Image result for to kill a mockingbird gif


14. Used or brand new?

Who cares?? They're books!  Used, I guess?

15. Have you ever read a Dan Brown book?

Uh, who?  Did he write the Da Vinci Code or something?  Also, no.

16. Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?

The Star Wars movies are better than their spin off books.

Image result for star wars gif


17. Have you ever read a book that made you hungry, cookbooks included?

Oh my gosh YES.  The Redwall series by Brain Jacques is FULL of descriptions of scrumptious food and it all sounds crazy good.

"You'ums want some raspberry cordial?"

Image result for redwall brian jacques


18. Who is the person whose book advice you'll always take?

Mi madre.  She know where the lit's at.


19. Is there a book outside of your comfort zone(e.g., outside your usual reading genre) that you ended up loving?


I read from pretty much every genre and have favorites all around.

Image result for i love all the books meme

2 comments: