Tuesday, March 7, 2017

25 Days of LOTR - Day 7

By just one vote, Sam has finally edged Gandalf out of the race and I have to cut off the voting now like I said I would yesterday.

Sorry to all you Gandalf fans out there, but it was a valiant effort.

A Olórin i yáresse
Mentaner i Númenherui
Tírien i Rómenóri
Maiaron i Oiosaila
Manan elye etevanne
Nórie i melanelye?

Mithrandir, Mithrandir, A Randir Vithren
ú-reniathach i amar galen
I reniad lín ne mór, nuithannen
In gwidh ristennin, i fae narchannen
I lach Anor ed ardhon gwannen
Caled veleg, ethuiannen.

 Image result for gandalf dead gif

Please keep submitting memes for the challenge from yesterday you can see here.

The bracket as it stands is...



Which means that today's match up is Merry vs. Pippin.

On the surface, these hobbits seem extremely similar, but when you really look deeper I think they have very different experiences throughout the War of the Ring and change in different ways.

I'll be interested to see what y'all have to say about these sweet characters.


Image result for merry and pippin meme

8 comments:

  1. Merry has always been sort of the group dad in his own way. ESPECIALLY in the beginning of the Fellowship. Seen later in the actual company, he seems very silly, but who wouldn't when put next to Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Boromir, and Gandalf? But when it was just the hobbits, he was so very responsible and smart.
    Pippin, while lacking a responsible nature and rather low in the basic common sense area, is VERY clever. This is most seen while they are with the orcs, being taken to Isengard. He is very resourceful, curious, and hilarious.
    Their contributions....well. Merry does more. But I'm voting for Pippin, because I love his personality, and his problem-solving skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting, particularly the part about Merry being the responsible hobbit. That seems right to me!

      Delete
  2. I'm voting for Merry! He proves himself to be a responsible, perceptive, loyal, and most trustworthy friend. It's so sweet the way he helps Frodo deal with the aftermath of Bilbo's disappearance, so I'm sure that orphaned Frodo relied on Merry a great deal while growing up at Brandy Hall. And, of course, Merry is responsible for organizing the Conspiracy! "But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo." That alone makes him the winner for me (and that chapter is one of my favorite parts in FOTR). His devotion to King Theoden later on is also very touching.

    And let's not forget that, when the Nazgul are prowling around Bree, Merry, all alone in the dark outside, dares to investigate. Even Aragorn is amazed at his courage, which speaks volumes.

    I also identify more with his personality than with Pippin's. While I like Pippin too and appreciate his growth as a character, his impulsive nature is the complete opposite of mine. I understand thoughtful Merry much better. He also reminds me of my best friend.

    - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vote also goes to Merry for pretty much the same reasons.

      Delete
    2. I'm voting for Merry too.

      Delete
    3. Ellen, that's sweet that Merry reminds you of your best friend :)
      Thanks for all your votes, guys!

      Delete
  3. I think my vote goes for Merry too. Pippen is cute and clever, but Merry seems to me like he has the makings to be great someday.

    ReplyDelete