Sunday, March 19, 2017

25 Days of LOTR - Day 19

Sam handily beat out Faramir yesterday, which brings us to the finals!!!


I more or less predicted these two--Aragorn and Sam--would be left in the finals eventually, and turns out we were right.

Don't worry, there will be lots of time to vote since this is such a special occasion.  Voting will be counted all the way up until the 24th when the final winner is revealed!

There is a lot to consider with both of these characters.  Think carefully about the characters' motivations, their prior knowledge of what they were doing, their background, and where the alliances finally land.

As always, quotes and direct and specific references are greatly appreciated, though not necessary.

I must say, this is probably one of the hardest contests we've had this entire bracket.  Thank you for voting, and lets see what input we can get on this final round!

Quick note.  I was unaware of this, but over at The One Ring.net, there is a pretty cool bracket of characters that coincides with March Madness and starts up on the 20th.  If you're interested in voting for characters over there as well, I would encourage you to do so!

Image result for you bow to no one gif

10 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I was seriously considering Aragorn, but then I went and read over all the stuff with Sam and Frodo on Orodruin. Oh Sam. Dear, dear Sam. Aragorn did a lot, he was amazing, but there is something about Sam carrying Frodo up a mountain that gets me. He didn't have an amazing ancestral sword that struck fear into the hearts of his enemies. He didn't have royal blood, height, strength, or a kingly bearing. He was just a simple gardener, with great devotion and great courage. And I love that moment at the end (of all things, ha!) of that chapter, where he sees Frodo come out alright, and all he can be is happy, despite everything. And then he immediately worries about his master's hand and does Sam things. And never QUITE give up, even when Frodo is content to let that be the end. *sniffle* I'm voting for Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still choose Aragorn. I absolutely love Sam's heroism, selflessness, and bravery. He truly is a great character, and it's even more enjoyable because he gets a wonderful happy ending. But Aragorn and his story still win me over every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *headdesking* This is so hard... But I'm going for Sam. I agree entirely with The Author. You summed it up well, mellonin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have to go with Sam, too, as much as I love Aragorn. They both played huge parts in the War of the Ring, but without Sam, the Ring might not have ended up being destroyed. *facepalm* Sorry, Strider!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most painful decision ever... I love them both. They're equally special, just in different ways. But I will vote for Sam. He had none of the advantages that Aragorn had - the illustrious ancestry and physical prowess, for example. He didn't grow up aware of his unique destiny and the task he would have to undertake someday (Aragorn is humble about it, of course, but still). All Sam understood was that Frodo needed him, and it was all he needed to understand. Sam was "not made for perilous quests" any more than Frodo was, but that didn't discourage him from following his friend into what appeared to be certain death. His only strengths were love and loyalty, and "at the end of all things," that's why the Quest triumphed.

    Like The Author said, Sam really shines in the chapter "Mount Doom." And besides, Frodo would vote for Sam:).

    - Ellen

    ReplyDelete