Monday, January 9, 2017

Pride and Prejudice

I have a lot of classics on my shelf, and I love classics!  Well, that might not actually be true.  I love reading classics to see what everyone knows about them and to be cultured.  I don't necessarily look forward to reading them all, but I push through and do it anyway to accomplish a goal.

It's just like how I don't like exercising per se, but I do like it because it is good for me.  So all in all I do like it.

Image result for classic book ecard
Pinterest

Because of my determination to read a ton of classics, I have kind of pushed off some of the books I really want to read, because I know deep down I also want to read the classics even if I don't feel like it all the time.  Like how an old married couple stays together for fifty years even if they don't feel in love all the time.

Okay what am I talking about???

The point is that this principal does not apply to Pride and Prejudice.  It is a book that a) makes me feel accomplished for reading a classic and b) is a book I really like and want to read even on a shallower level.

Image result for pride and prejudice book cover
Pinterest

I first encountered Pride and Prejudice through the 2005 movie (audible gasps are heard from fans who hate that movie) and to be honest, I really loved it.  It was probably from ignorance of the original source material or something, but I was able to look over the blatant historical inaccuracies and enjoy the story.

I am a sucker for a good romance, and also the film had music that was really simple but impactful.  I love piano and strings (uh, duh that's why I play piano and violin...) and this soundtrack featured them heavily.  By the way, A Postcard to Henry Purcell is one of my favorite songs to play on violin.  Take a listen!



But I'm not here to talk about the film!!!!

I decided to read the book because I liked the story a lot and it's usually true that the book is better than the film.  In this specific, case, I don't have a strong opinion either way since both the book and the film were enjoyable in their own way.

Lizzie's character was a bit more refined in the book it seemed, and her relationship with Mr. Darcy was slower to progress.

I wish that there was more about Jane and Bingley because to be honest they are just the best ever.  Bingley is an awkward ginger just like me!!

Image result for jane and bingley
YouFoundMarina - WordPress.com

Early on in the film, I really hated Darcy and came to like him by the end, but in the book he was even more detestable at the start (if less lovable at the end).  I do really love his conversation he had with Lizzie about how it is hard for him to introduce himself to people at balls.  Me too, Darcy!  Me too!!

Anywho, I adore Jane Austen's writing style and the intricacy of the vocabulary.   It's a pretty big inspiration for me.

So final opinions?  This book is totally worth a read whether you liked the films or not.  It's different from the films for those who disliked either one, but similar enough to please people who want a supplement to films they enjoyed.

I can clearly see myself going back to Pride and Prejudice and other Jane Austen novels for inspiration and enjoyment in the future.

Image result for pride and prejudice
Discover Magazine Blogs

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you liked it! :D

    And high-five for P&P'05. You mentioned almost all the reasons I enjoy it.

    Have you seen the '95 version? I've been slowly re-watching it lately, and though it isn't as fast-moving as '05, I find it truly hilarious. Mr. Collins is perfect. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not actually seen the '95 version--I started watching it but it was really slow in starting and I never got around to actually finishing. It's on my list of movies to watch, so I'll try to get back to it eventually.

      Delete