Sunday, November 6, 2016

Top 10 Musical Moments

Lois Johnson recently wrote a very nice post about her favorite moments from musicals.  Over the summer I've gotten into musicals a bit, and while I'm by no means an expert, it's pretty easy to pick out ten of my favorite moments.

1. Do you Hear the People Sing? (Les Miserables)


I personally prefer the finale version of this song, at the very end of the musical when all of the characters come back for one final hurrah.  I particularly like how even though this specific story is wrapped up, you are still left with the question "do you hear the people sing?" which makes you think about the story as it applies to your real life.

Image result for do you hear the people sing gif
Giphy

2. One Day More (Les Miserables)


Les Mis sweeps the first four places, obviously, so it's no surprise that One Day More is high on the list.  This song brings in every story line to create one massive harmony of epicness.  This song comes toward the middle of the musical and brings some hope into the middle of this rough piece.

Image result for one day more
YouTube


3. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (Les Miserables)


This song affects me more than any other on this list, probably.  I feel worse for Marius than for the other barricade boys during this song because he has to live on with the guilt that they all died and he didn't.  They all died heroes deaths, in his mind, but he has to live on in the imperfect world.


Image result for empty chairs at empty tables
Giphy


4. I Dreamed a Dream (Les Miserables)


This is another heartbreaking song.  The lyrics themselves are just so poignant.  I think the reason this is lower than the other Les Mis songs is that I've just heard it so many times that unfortunately it sometimes loses its meaning and impact.

Image result for i dreamed a dream
Tumblr


5. All I Ask of You (Phantom of the Opera)


This song is very repetitive, which is why it is in the fifth section.  It is on this list though because it has such a wonderful crescendo and the high D note is just beautiful--it gives you shivers.  The harmony and the way this duet factors into the story of the musical is just absolutely perfect.  

Image result for all i ask of you
YouTube


6. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (The Sound of Music)


This song is kind of playful and romantic at the same time which is why it's my favorite song from the Sound of Music.  The choreography of the dance during this part of the movie is also pretty cool and I specifically remember re-enacting it at this park that has lots of benches lined up in a circle.  It was memorable and unique.  Also I just love Liesel's dress!

Image result for sixteen going on seventeen
SingSnap


7. Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat (Guys and Dolls)


I saw this musical when my high school put it on and my goodness they were good!  I still remember the toe-tapping beat of this song and the huge cast ensemble that made up the well-choreographed number.  It was full of color, excitement, and brotherhood.

Image result for sit down you're rocking the boat
YouTube


8. Defying Gravity (Wicked)


This song has some wickedly high notes in it, and I am perpetually impressed when a singer reaches them.  I like the idea of being free and not letting anything hold you down.  Again, this is a high energy song that makes you feel like you can conquer the world!

Image result for defying gravity
YouTube

9. If I Were a Rich Man (Fiddler on the Roof)


I remember watching this for the first time with my mouth hanging open, completely confused.  Why was Tevye rambling around in his barn shimmying crazily?  This scene was just so ridiculously fun and it's been one of my favorites ever since.

Image result for if i were a rich man
www.your-krav-maga-expert.com


10. Make 'em Laugh (Singing in the Rain)

The character played by Donald O'Connor is my favorite in Singing in the Rain, and this is definitely his number.  In a weird way he reminds me of my fourth grade teacher which makes the entire song extra hilarious.

Image result for make em laugh
Amazing Stories

What are your top-ten musical numbers?

4 comments:

  1. I love this list!

    1. Yes, I think I prefer the finale version too. Either way it's really beautiful.

    2. YES.

    3. Poor Marius. Poor, poor Marius. Ack, this song is so gorgeous and sad.

    4. Anne Hathaway nails it.

    5. That one is really pretty, but "The Phantom of the Opera" piece is my favorite of the PoTO songs. What I wouldn't do to reach those high notes. ;)

    6. Gahhh, this song is too much adorbz. The dress and the choreography, and the rain, and everything is perfect. Really, it might be one of my favorites from this list.

    It's so tragic Rolf turned out to be a Nazi sympathizer. :(

    7. I've never even heard of this song! That's rather surprising...

    8. 0.0 Have you heard the Idina Menzel pop-version? (At least I think that's what it's called. It's separate from the Broadway recording.)

    9. Haha! I must see this movie again.

    10. YUSS. I love this song and Donald O'Connor especially.

    Well, that was an excellent list! I don't have time to answer what my list would be, but I bet a few items would coincide with yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, thanks!!

      I just adore musicals--they can be so exciting and energetic and also so sad and sweet <3

      Delete
  2. Thanks for doing this! Love our choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, it was so fun!! What a great idea :)

      Delete