Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Silver Chair

Image result for the silver chair
Goodreads

C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia

Geoffrey Bles, 1953


First off, I want to let you all know I am now on Pinterest (still figuring things out--one thing pinned so far!) so feel free to head over and give me a follow if you feel so inclined.  Thanks!!

Eustace returns to Narnia long after the events of the Dawn Treader, with fellow boarding-schoolmate, Jill.  

The book introduces Eustace and Jill at their school, known as the Experiment House.  They try to get to Narnia and indeed end up escaping their situation at the Experiment House (at least temporarily). 

Of course they have thrilling adventures together, and I've compiled some of my favorite quotes from the book:

“It is a very funny thing that the sleepier you are, the longer you take about getting to bed.”


“Suppose... suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones. And if this black pits of a kingdom is the best you can make, then it's a poor world. And we four can make a dream world to lick your real one hollow.”

“Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.”

Image result for jill the silver chair
Pinterest

“You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you," said the Lion.”

“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”

“I have come," said a deep voice behind them. They turned and saw the Lion himself, so bright and real and strong that everything else began at once to look pale and shadowy compared with him.”

“I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms," said the Lion. It didn't say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.”

Image result for jill the silver chair
www.e-reading.club

“When once a man is launched on such an adventure as this, he must bid farewell to hopes and fears, otherwise death or deliverance will both come too late to save his honor and his reason. Ho, my beauties!”

“Puddleglum is the name. It doesn't matter if you forget it, I can always tell you again.”

“You do not see as quite as well as you think.”

Honestly, I may as well just stop now.  If these witty and wise quotes aren't intriguing you to read The Silver Chair, I don't know what will.

Image result for cs lewis
www.nycslsociety.com

I will end by telling you that this was a great addition to the Narnia series in my opinion.  I liked the character of Jill, and I also enjoyed seeing Eustace as the knowledgeable character after all his learning in The Dawn Treader.

I also love just how British everything is.  Phrases like "oh do, let's!" just make me smile.  I really like the grammar.

Have you read The Silver Chair??

2 comments:

  1. Love this book. You're right, it does have so many great, quotable lines. :D I also really like how Rillian's story, at least in my eyes, is like someone who is trapped by a personal sin even though they want desperately to put it behind them, but it also shows that it is not hopeless, and that freedom can be gained with God's help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that's a great point! Very nice :)

      Delete