Saturday, November 12, 2016

How to Manipulate any Website

By using a few simple HTML coding tricks, you can change a website to say whatever you want, which is good or bad depending on how you use it.

The changes will only appear on your computer screen, but it still a pretty funny trick. 

I changed J.R.R. Tolkien's Twitter to recommend my blog:


And I manipulated Star Wars twitter to say "Han Shot First":


This is a really fun and easy way to create a meme, or even fool someone for April Fools.  

Also, as I will demonstrate, you can easily find the type of font used for any website which is nice for graphic designers and coding-wanna-be-nerds like me.

There are lots of other things you can insert, including videos and photos.  You can also change fonts and sizes if you're good with HTML, but for now I'm just going to demonstrate how you can change just basic text.

Step #1:

Find the website you want to change.  I was thinking about the fact I was neglecting working on le livre by changing website codes, which reminded me of NaNoWriMo, so I went with the National Novel Writing Month website.


Step #2:

Right click on the area you want to manipulate.  Click on "Inspect".

 Step #3:

A side bar will open up with the coding for the website on it.  Run your cursor around the text and the areas of code will highlight the corresponding parts of the website to your right.

When you find the area you'd like to manipulate (in my case, the highlighted "November 1-30"), right click on the code and then click "Edit as HTML".


Step #4:

Within the code, you will be able to identify the text that you are trying to change.  It will probably be displayed in black.  Highlight and delete that, and then type what you would rather have it say.  Make sure your text is surrounded by >< (ex. >Lover of Lembas was Here<)



Click out of the code line you working on, and the website will adjust to your new input.  Again, this only affects your computer screen, and will revert to normal when you exit out of the website.  Don't worry--your messages won't be seen by anyone else visiting the website!

Pretty cool, huh?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, someone I know also knows this trick! I had been studying coding for a while and clicked inspect and messed around with the code. I don't know enough to change the look of the website but it's really easy to change text!

    That J.R.R. Tolkien twitter change is hilarious by the way XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I've always wanted to learn more about coding and hopefully code my entire blog someday.

      Thank you XD

      Delete
    2. Check out codecademy.com! I love how simple and easy it is! I finished learning JavaScript and am at 35% done with HTML & CSS XD

      You're welcome!

      Delete