Thursday, November 3, 2016

Chopping Onions

I spent ten minutes cutting onions today, crying my swollen, blood-shot little eyes out.  Gol-ly they were potent!

If anyone ever says that a full time parent has an easy job, they are dead wrong!  Making dinner, cleaning, yard-work, taking care of kids, and all the responsibilities of a homemaker are hard.  Just cutting onions for someone's chile is taxing.

So why was I cooking chile, you ask?  I have this weird problem where my older siblings have practically been like extra parents to me.  I grew up with someone always there to help with homework, make me dinner, do my hair, etc.

Image result for crying onions
I Waste So Much Time

But now my siblings are all living elsewhere, whether it's at college or their own place.  I'm realizing I need to do more things to prepare myself for living on my own, and that needs to start early.

I took my own advice from my carpe diem article and decided to start learning more life skills today rather than putting it off.  I made a fairly simple recipe of chile under my mom's instructions, and holy buckets it was delicious (if I do say so myself).

I feel like a huge problem people have with getting nutritious meals these days is that parents are really busy at work all day--which is relatively new since stay-at-home-moms were very common as recently as the 50s.  Not only did this mean that parents would sometimes just pop in the oven something easy and not necessarily homemade, but that they wouldn't be able to spend as much time with their kids teaching them how to cook or do other household chores which would lead them to not preparing home-cooked meals for themselves.

Image result for 50s mother
Belle About Town

Both my parents work, and I don't have a problem when both parents work.  After all, I have five elder siblings who had to pay college tuition!  But it is really important to make sure that one way or another kids are getting the life skills they need, whether it be from their parents directly, or through a program like family and consumers science, or home economics.

I'm not currently enrolled in any FACS program, so I decided to take it upon myself to learn some home skills.

Oh, and let me clear something up.  I'm not a complete lump around the house!  Remember how I said I have five siblings?  Well for a long time there were eight people living together in the same house with only two bathrooms.  It would be an understatement to say that I am good at cleaning.

Anyway, there is always room for improvement, so I decided to invest some time into getting better at cooking and cleaning since eventually I'm going to have to take care of myself and hopefully a family in the future.

First off, I feel a lot better knowing that I provided for myself (and treated my parents to a work-free dinner).  I just feel that I accomplished a few things today, doing some yard-work after school and making dinner for everyone.

Image result for accomplished
123RF.com

Secondly, I learned a few cooking tips from my mom (like don't pour liquids into hot pans from two feet up because it will splash and burn you...actually I learned that from trial and error 0.0)

Thirdly, working and even doing little things is actually really healthy for you.  Today lots of people are going to extremes to get into a fancy yoga class or a cure-all diet.  Thinking back to the 50s (my inspiration for the day and also the reason I looked pret-ty fabulous in a checkered apron) people didn't always do elaborate exercise and diet programs, they just lived their lives.

Not everyone in the 50s was perfect, of course, but we can learn some lessons from things they did I think.  My grandparents, for instance, had to walk to school which is already a bit of exercize.  They had to run a garden which is more physically tolling then you might guess.  Think of all the raking, hoeing, weeding, shoveling, and moving that garderners do in the hot sun.

Alright there are some rambles.  My basic point is that I'm excited to be taking some steps to learn more about how to run a household and I am pretty optimistic that learning these skills is going to improve my life a lot.

Image result for home skills
I think this looks like an awesome book!
www.wholesomechildhood.com

10 comments:

  1. I want that book...I do know most of that stuff, but I'd read some of it and give it to my brothers as well. ;) I KNOW they don't know how to sew a button back on a shirt, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem like very useful skills to have :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, definitely! There's lots of videos on millennials and "adulting" on Facebook (which I hate, by the way... G+ all the way!!!); college kids get out of school and realize they don't know how to do anything!

      Delete
    3. Wow, that's exactly what I am trying to avoid 0.0

      Delete
  2. Sewing is a terribly useful skill. I was lucky to have a stay at home mom and a big sister who didn't go to college, so I amassed a good deal of baking skills, but somehow making actual food didn't become a thing for me until my sister married two years ago, and suddenly it became necessary. I just recently got to the point feeling comfortable with experimentation, but I love cooking. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Also that's awesome that you learned from your sister and mom :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you're taking steps to learn life skills! That's a good thing to do, especially considering the high standards set by Proverbs 31. ;D I already know a decent amount of life-skill type stuff, to the point where I know I could run a house of my own if I needed too. I was raised a homeschooler with an industrious stay-at-home mom, so I've had the advantage of my teacher being there for everything. But even for me there are still things I get nervous doing... like taxes, and insurance paperwork, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paperwork and things make me nervous too--they're so confusing!

      Delete
  4. "HOLY BUCKETS" I am so gonna use that X3

    ReplyDelete