Monday, November 7, 2016

Beautiful Books: Novel Update

Time to update y'all on the progress of le livre, un roman, The Last Generation.

beautiful books



Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?

Oddly, my mental state shares many of the characteristics of my novel...scattered, contemplative, and searching for direction.

My mental state as it pertains to le livre is mostly positive, with a tinge of despair (wow, that's not a contradiction at all...).  I'm impressed that I've gotten as far as I have with this one idea because that's rare for me.  Usually I have six ideas spinning around and I can never finish a draft of just one.

Image result for were all mad here
Everything Scrapbook and Stamps

The despair part is because I was looking over some of my previous brainstorming and realizing it's better than the draft I have right now--and this brainstorming was written in the middle of the night without even bothering to turn on the light...0.0

Also the despair is strong with me because it's time for phase three: revising.  I hate revising, probably even more than editing.

I don't like to change one thing because it means I have to go back and change six other mentions of said thing throughout the rest of the book.

Also it means that slapping out horrible sentences is no longer acceptable and I need to tailor le levre better than what I originally had scrawled out.

Image result for writing meme
Relatably

What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?


I believe I have shared this before, and it hasn't changed:

I find that men who are most convinced of their prevailing intellect are often the most nescient of us all. Leo Tolstoy once wrote, “All we can know is that we know nothing. And that is the summit of human wisdom.”

Of all the great fools throughout mankind’s adventure who have lived both on Earth and above it, I am positively and inextricably convinced I am the worst. I am not particularly or especially stupid, or at base I hope I am not, but one fact I am undeniably, wholly, and certainly convinced of, is that I am brilliantly and indefatigably a fool; for to be a fool is to be fooled, and I have been fooled my entire life. 
 

Who’s your current favourite character in your novel?


Hmm...I think I need to add more main characters because at this point I really only have three characters described in detail...

...and of course it's a draw between two out of three...

...I guess I would go with Matthew...maybe...? (Also, ellipses overload XD)

Matthew is the smartest character, and since the book is written from the perspective of the main character who falls in love with him, it's difficult for me not to like him. 

While my main character kind of has a jumpy dynamic where she has a sudden ah-ha moment, Matthew's arc is much more gradual and realistic.


What do you love about your novel so far?


Matthew...?  

But also I have a few paragraphs written on random sheets of paper all over my house that I came up with in the moment and jotted down and have yet to fit into the actual le livre itself, but I love those little paragraphs and IMO they represent some of my best writing.

Also I am kind of in love with my concept of the ending, although I am failing at the execution of it.

Image result for scribbling
My brainstorming
Roshida


Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?


Well upon further research, I discovered I had been spelling "nescient" wrong, and had been for a long while.  Good thing I caught it though!

What is your favourite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?


Beginning!  Beginnings are always easiest and when I write them I am usually excited for the book and it's all young and shiny.  By the end the writing is the equivalent of stale coffee and E notes that are a bit too flat.  In other words, terrible.

Image result for beginnings quotes
Pinterest


What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!


Writing habits?  Hmm, no.  I always listen to music if I'm in a place that I don't have to be quiet, but that music changes all the time.  I don't know when I write best, but I do write all the time.  During class, on the bus, after school, just before bed, etc.  I can't really show you all the places I write because I am kind of a wandering writer.




How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?


I let my friends read some parts of it and the document is shared with about ten people (although I am pretty sure no one really keeps up to date with it that way).  Other than that I don't really like people (particularly my family) reading it because it's not perfect yet and I hate being judged.


Image result for it's mine my precious book
Pinterest

What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?


I figure that I've come this far, I might as well finish 'er off. 

Also I really want to be a published author one day, and there's only one way to go about doing that, and that's to write.

What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?


  1. Make me love your character, or love to hate them.  I will not care about your world or your plot if the characters are annoying.
  2. Don't worry too much about instant perfection, just get your ideas down on paper and work your way from there.
  3. Don't pay too much attention to advice.  You'll get a ten different answers from ten different authors and you just need to keep experimenting until you find what works best for you.
Image result for good luck
Beautiful Messages

10 comments:

  1. I love your first paragraph! Good luck with the editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. (English Translation) "...I came up with in the moment and jotted down and have yet to fit into the actual 'The Book' itself," I mean No offense but couldn't stop laughing at this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually le livre is just my general nickname for the novel, I use it all together or not at all.
      Also, must I remind you of the incident in class today when your sentence read "they to eat"?

      Delete
  3. Whenever I sit down to write, I imagine that scene at Helms Deep where Theoden says "So it begins" and then it starts to rain. Most people think of him saying so it begins, but I identify more with the look on his face when the rain starts. Like it couldn't get any worse, and he was probably about to die, and then it starts to rain...it's so perfect, and that is sort of how I feel. I'm going to do it, I might die trying, nothing is going as planned, but I refuse to give up, and maybe, just maybe, it will all end with a bright dawn and victory, and I will run from my computer dramatically, pretending I am on a horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is pretty epic and inspirational!! :D

      Delete
  4. Your first paragraph reminds me very much of an opening to a classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! That made my day ^_^

      Delete