Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Word Wednesday: 10 Words I Love

I think I'm going to start a series of posts about words, their origins, unique words, and words I like or dislike.  These will go up on Wednesdays, but not necessarily every Wednesday.

I'm a regular logophile so I decided to compile a list of some of the words I love.  There are so many that I can't get them all in one list, but here are just a few.  I'm going to put the definition of the word that I like most, but I will link you to the OED page (not the Webster dictionary or Dictionary.com page of course!  Sometime, I should explain why I strongly dislike those dictionaries and only trust the OED...)



Incandescent - Full of strong emotion; passionate.


Origin
Late 18th century: from French, from Latin incandescent- glowing, from the verb incandescere, from in- (expressing intensive force) + candescere become white (from candidus white).

I blame Pride and Prejudice for this.  And of course I love Anglo-Norman words, so the fact that this is derived from French makes it tres fantastique et magnifique!

Image result for incandescently pride and prejudice
Pinterest


Chivalry - The combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, namely courage, honour, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak.


Origin
Middle English: from Old French chevalerie, from medieval Latin caballerius, for late Latin caballarius horseman (see chevalier).

Before even the definition of this word, I just love the way it sounds!  French is such a beautiful language and I love when beloved English borrows from it (obviously).  Shi-val-or-ree...it's just music to my ears!  

This word also has a positive connotation for me, because I absolutely love medieval romances and quest stories.  This word makes me think of Percival and Galahad, and thank goodness I'm not an extreme feminist who obsesses about men doing nice things for them.  Yay, I can enjoy this word!!  

Image result for medieval knight meme
Keyword Suggestions

Essential - Absolutely necessary; extremely important.


In addition to liking the "sh" sound, I also like the sound "tial" which really sounds more like "chahl".  


Omniscience - The state of knowing everything.

I like how this word sounds and also I find it such an odd word.  What a concept: knowing everything.


Valiant - Possessing or showing courage or determination.


Origin
Middle English (also in the sense ‘robust, well-built’): from Old French vailant, based on Latin valere be strong.

This word remembers just how much I love Latin.  Also this brings me back to my love for medieval romances.  This is definitely one of my favorite adjectives of all time.

Image result for deeds shall not be less valiant because they are unpraised

Noble - Having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles.

In my mind this word and valiant go hand in hand.  I think valiant may be my favorite of the two only because I sometimes associate noble with the noun meaning the king's nobles in charge of land and serfs.  Nobles were not always...erm...the greatest, so it puts a bit of a damper on the word for me.


Maiden - An unmarried girl or young woman.

Maidens are always the most pure and respected women in ancient (especially medieval) literature, so I associate this word with good characters like Percival's sister and the Virgin Mary.

Image result for fair maiden in tower painting
Pinterest


Fair - Beautiful.

This is similar to my feeling for the word maiden--I associate it with good characters which makes me think of this word in a positive light.

Sonata - A composition for an instrumental soloist, often with a piano accompaniment, typically in several movements with one or more in sonata form.

There are so many beautiful musical words: glissando, concerto, nocturne, requiem, etc. but I had to decide on one.  Another one of my favorite words is sonnet, and this word encompasses both of the phonetic aspects I like about both musical words and the word sonnet.



Cloak - A sleeveless outdoor overgarment that hangs loosely from the shoulders.

Cloaks just scream adventure and mystery, in my opinion.  The dramatic pull of a cloak means a great story is afoot!

What are some of your favorite words?  Leave a suggestion for next Word Wednesday in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I'm so sorry that I haven't commented in awhile.

    All these words-- YES. Well, "sonata" isn't my favorite... But "sonatina" is a good word!

    Isn't "chivalry" just a tasty word to say? It's like eating cool whip. Plus I like the meaning.

    Nice post! I hope I can return to commenting more regularly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay; it's nice to see you're back!

      I was torn between sonata and sonatina. I decided on sonata, but only when pronounced with an Italian accent <3

      That is the most accurate thing I've read in a long time. It is like cool whip *mind blown*

      Thank you, I hope you do! :)

      Delete