Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Q&A Answers and Tag

This is going to be a long post, so buckle in! :)

First off, I've been tagged by Benita J. Prins with the Q&A Tag.  Thanks Benita!  Benita runs a totally awesome blog with lots of Tolkien stuff you should definitely check out.

Into the tag!

Rules:

  • Tag the blogger(s) who have nominated you
  • Answer the questions you were given
  • Nominate 10 bloggers
  • Write out your 10 questions
  • Let them know they’ve been tagged

What do you tend to do when you're bored?


I feel like I am rarely bored.  In school, lots of students just sort of sit around or do something on their phones when they're done with their work, but I personally always have something on my to-do list.  If I'm done with classwork, I'll do the homework.  If I'm done with the homework, I'll do work from another class.  If I don't have any schoolwork, I'll read.  If I finish my book, I'll work on the blog.  The list goes on and on--I never really have any free time.  Same goes for at home too--there is always piano to be played, violin to be practiced, a bike ride to be taken.  (And yes, this does stress me out.)

I suppose if I'm trapped somewhere without access to any books or materials to get stuff done, I will first begin to panic because I'm not being efficient, then I will continue my bad habit of biting my nails, and finally I will sing to myself.  That's what I do when I'm really bored.

Image result for moriarty bored gif
gifhunterress.tumblr.com


Would you rather be too hot or too cold?


If we're talking really extreme levels (would you rather be in a volcano or in a frozen sea) I suppose I would go with really hot because--take this from someone with literal experience in 40 degree water--cold water is terrible, terrible, horrible, deathly, awful, the absolute worst.

However, if we're going with less extreme examples, I would rather be on the chilly side because it's easier to warm your body up naturally than it is to cool it down.  Plus, what can I say?  I'm a northern girl and I love me some snow.


What was your favorite book as a kid?


Hmm, there were lots.  As a really little kid I mostly read Dick and Jane and Angelina Ballerina books.  I specifically remember my mom reading a lot of Ferdinand the Bull and this really creepy Pinocchio chapter book I mostly zoned out during.  I think that was mostly intended for my elder siblings, but I would always sit with them while they read.  

I really liked the Lion King book because as a kid that was my absolute favorite movie, right next to The Little Mermaid.  I loved Winnie the Pooh and some of my grandma's Raggedy Ann books.

If I had to pick a singular favorite book, I would go with the Lion King book because the pictures were just glorious and my little-kid-eyes couldn't get enough of the bright colors.

Image result for winnie the pooh
www.youtube.com

Would you ever go bungee jumping or sky diving?


That's a good question!  Probably not--it takes a lot of convincing (and a lot of tears) to even get me to ride a big roller coaster.  I would definitely never go bungee jumping (how can that be fun to anyone) because the yank at the end seems terrible, and I also don't think I could ever will myself to physically jump off a bridge.

I might consider sky diving, although I'm very squeasy (queasy and squeamish) when it comes to doing extreme sports because the risk/reward complex concerning them doesn't really make sense to me.  Well, if all goes well, you have a fun time!  If it doesn't go well, you die.  Seems like a risk worth taking! (Sarcasm.)

Blue pen or black?


Black, all the way.  There's just something elegant about a swoop of a nice black pen.

Image result for black pen writing gif
bestanimations.com


Which fictional character would you chose to co-author a book with?


Quite frankly, co-authoring a book sounds like a complete nightmare to me.  I have my own ideas swirling around in my head which I can barely express on paper, and to have a whole other gaggle of thoughts in a completely separate brain just doesn't seem like a good way to get stuff done to me. 

I suppose if I'm forced to co-author a book, I would write with Jo from Little Women, because we come from different backgrounds and have very different personalities.  I think we could write something truly nuanced together.  Plus, it'd be helpful to have someone from a period piece helping you write a period piece.  

Image result for jo little women drawing
mentalfloss.com


Do you hoard anything?


I used to collect tiny bits of everything as a kid and shove them in any nook and cranny in my house I could find.  Now?  Besides LOTR merchandise....nothing?

Can you curl your tongue?


I can indeed.  In fact, not only can I do the little hot dog thing, I can make the flower with distinct petals.  My sister is really good at it and she can make a flower with five petals, but mine only has three.  It'd be so weird not to be able to curl my tongue in my opinion!  What would that feel like??


Do you get nervous when you hear noises at night?


Usually I would answer yes, but both my parents have weird sleeping patterns (my mom goes to bed really early and leaves for work early as well and my dad has no consistent sleep pattern) so usually I just assume it's one of them up and about.

If I was living alone, then yes, I would be very, very alarmed.

Image result for scared at night gif
www.lovethisgif.com


What's the weirdest dream you can remember?


Image result for yellow m and m
www.pinterest.com
This is also a good question!  I remember vividly a dream I had around the age of six; it was my first real nightmare.

I went downstairs into my basement (always a place of terror for me as a kid) and as I entered the laundry room I encountered...

...a giant yellow M&M with a blue light saber!

The M&M chased me upstairs where I ran into the rest of my family.  We ran into the room my sister and I shared as kids and, since my bed was the top bunk, we hid under my sister's bunk.

I remember being preoccupied with that nightmare for weeks, absolutely refusing to go to the basement.





I Nominate...











Questions for the Nominees...

  1. Do you play a sport?  Is there a sport you want to learn?
  2. Sunrise or sunset?  Why?
  3. What was your dream job as a little kid?
  4. What was the last movie you watched you really liked?
  5. What songs are stuck in your head?
  6. What is something that makes you feel nostalgic?
  7. If you were granted an extra hour to be added to your day (so you have 25 hours) what would you spend the hour doing?
  8. What is one of the most embarrassing moments you're willing to share?
  9. If you could customize your car license plate (for most U.S. readers, that means pick any combination of 5-7 words and letters) what would you want your license plate to say?
  10. Rivers, lakes, streams, ponds, or the ocean?

And now I answer your other questions...

I recently asked for questions from you guys, and you have some good ones!  Here are my answers. 

The Author asks:

What are your favorite things to read OTHER THAN Tolkien?

This is a hard question.  Recently I've been reading a lot of classics (and by recently I mean for the past year and a half) so I mostly have classics and Tolkien on the repertoire.  I haven't read as many contemporary books and the last ones I can remember were meant for kids (because last time I read contemporary novels I was a kid).  I'll have to pick some of my favorite classics (plus HG because I couldn't leave that off the list) for this reason:
  • Les Miserables
  • War and Peace
  • Le Mort d'Arthur
  • The Hunger Games
To see the reviews of lots of other books I've read recently, check out the Book Nook section.  Hopefully I will have more time to post about non-Tolkien specific things in the future because obviously I read more than Tolkien.

Image result for le morte d'arthur
reginajeffers.wordpress.com

Emmarayn Redding asks:

Is your profile picture of you?  If so, which one is you?

I think I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.  I am the one wearing the orange sunglasses, although this was taken awhile ago.  I should really update the picture, but I haven't taken any good photos recently.



Meredith asks:

Do you like to wear makeup/nail polish?

I'm not a huge fan of makeup for several reasons: a) I am bad at applying it b) I don't have time to mess with it each morning and c) it gets in the way throughout the day.  I wear a bit of concealer and pencil my eyebrows occasionally before school, but most of the time I wear little to no makeup on a regular day.  For special occasions, I will wear mascara and eye shadow in addition to concealer, pencil, and mineral powder over top.  The main things I use makeup for are covering acne, getting a consistent skin tone, and eliminating shine. 

As for nail polish, over the summer I've gotten into the habit of wearing a layer of clear polish at all times.  Sometimes I will do a light pink and then a top coat.  I like when my nails are painted, but I don't really like wearing nail polish because if even a little chip comes off my OCD compels me to redo the entire thing which takes me awhile.

Image result for nail polish holes gif
www.theodysseyonline.com

Which is the saddest book you've read?

Image result for a dog called kitty
www.goodreads.com
I remember a book I read as a kid that left a profound impression on me was My Friend Kitty which actually caused me to cry.  I think that was the first time I ever cried while reading.

Also Les Miserables is pretty sad, but I personally like to focus more on the message of hope at the end rather than the horrible situations the characters were in.

Walk Two Moons also has a really sad ending which deeply affected me when I first read it.

I'm not sure what the saddest book is, but there have definitely been a couple that have pulled a few tears.


Which is the funniest book you've read?

I don't often read funny books, but I read Diary of a Wimpy Kid books when I was little and they were funny when I was that age.

Also, the Percy Jackson books I remember being pretty funny and sardonic.

On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?

Whoa, this varies a ton.  It really depends on what I'm reading.  When I was reading The Once and Future King, for instance, I spent maybe five hours a day reading, but I finished it in two days so that's not really an accurate number.  I just really loved that book and got through it quickly.

For other books (*cough cough* the Bible) I take soooo much longer.  I think I've been reading the Bible for technically two months, but it is so complex that I don't spend much time each day reading it.

I would say I read anywhere from an hour to two a day, which adds up to between seven and fourteen hours a week. Within those numbers, I would say I'm closer to ten or eleven hours a week, since some days I randomly sit down for hours and read, and other days I barely read a page.  It really, really depends and this is difficult to estimate.

Image result for girl reading
www.pinterest.com

What is your favorite kind of tea?

Ah, it's like choosing a proud mother to pick her favorite child!  I am partial to black tea, mostly because that's what I tried the first.  Turkish tea is really good though too, I had some authentic Turkish tea from my sister's friend and it was so strong and flavorful.

Do you prefer sleeping in or waking up early?

Waking up early!  To quote John Paul II: "I like to see the sun rise".

If I sleep in, the day seems wasted when I wake up and that causes me to panic and regret ever sleeping.

Image result for sunrise
www.timeanddate.com

If you could meet one author(living or dead), who would it be?

Oh my, this is an easy one ;)
I'll give you a hint: the name starts with "T" and rhymes with Bolkien (which is not an actual word, for the record).

If you could meet one actor(living or dead), who would it be?

Hmm, this one's hard.  I'm not very well acquainted with actors, but I just realized this post is going to end up including JPII twice!  That's not bad, you can never have too much JPII.

John Paul II was technically a stage actor as a young person, so I would like to meet him.

Gaming Defender asks:

Do you like water?

I like water, but not as much as tea.



If you could go back in time, what would you do/would you even go back in time?

I probably wouldn't go back in time, because I would like to just stay where I am and "decide what to do with the time that is given to us".

However, if there weren't major space-time implications to travelling back in time, I would love to head back to Rome circa 500, then back a bit to Rome still in 33 A.D., then make a pit stop in England in 1066 to see what it's like, then again in 1300, and on my way home drop in Paris 1790.

If you could have any power what would it be?

Flying because flying is awesome.

Image result for birdwing book
www.amazon.com

If a genie gave you 3 wishes what would they be?

I wouldn't meddle much with a genie, because sometimes I don't even know what's best for me.  Whatever I wished for would probably end up coming back to bite me somehow.

Thank you so much to everyone who sent in a question!  Let me know if you'd like me to do more Q&As in the future!  Have a dandy day, y'all!

9 comments:

  1. Really fun answers! You truly learn a lot from these sorts of things! I just published that tag so make sure you check it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is definitely true. Ooh nice, I'll go read it now!

      Delete
  2. that was quite interesting! some of those thongs I didn't expect and when I saw them I thought it was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Of course--I'm excited to see your answers :)

      Delete
  4. I love getting tagged! Thank'e. :)
    Ha, when you said "I suppose if I'm trapped somewhere without access to any books or materials to get stuff done, I will first begin to panic because I'm not being efficient" and "If I sleep in, the day seems wasted when I wake up and that causes me to panic and regret ever sleeping" — I totally get that!! I can become overly obsessed with getting things done. And getting an early start and being on time for things. (But then my family is usually late for things, so this is partially just reactionary).
    Anyway, thanks for the questions! I'll see about answering them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I've never heard of doing a flower with your tongue; although I can do the hotdog roll I can't even imagine how to begin with doing a flower.
      I'm rewriting a King Arthur story right now, so I'd really like to read the Le Morte d'Arthur sometime.

      Delete
    2. Of course--I can't wait to read the results!
      Ah, someone who can understand the struggle ;D
      It's really simple, you just kind of pull your tongue in and wrinkle the sides.
      Oh you absolutely must! It is the quintessential King Arthur story and Sir Thomas Malory draws from all the great legends. Let me know what you think, and you can read my review in the Book Nook :)

      Delete