Thursday, September 8, 2016

Book Marathon Day VII

Inside Information

I completed my reading on the bus ride to school and during foundations, which is sort of like homeroom.  The predominating memory I have from today's book marathon is of the chapter Flies and Spiders which is quite long and very intense.  It marks another turning point of Bilbo's change into an independent and capable individual.

Image result for bilbo fights spiders
omegaswords.com

One thing I learned from the Tolkien Professor, Corey Olsen in his book Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' and that I have noticed throughout this read-through, is Tolkien's ability to share dark story lines but keep the tone uplifting and kid friendly.  When Bilbo is surrounded by giant Hobbit/Dwarf eating spiders (quite scary!) he sings a silly song:
Old fat spider spinning in a tree!Old fat spider can’t see me!Attercop! Attercop!Won't you stop,Stop your spinning and look for me!

Old Tomnoddy, all big body,Old Tomnoddy can’t spy me!Attercop! Attercop!Down you drop!You'll never catch me up your tree!

Lazy Lob and crazy Cobare weaving webs to wind me.I am far more sweet than other meat,but still they cannot find me!

Here am I, naughty little fly;you are fat and lazy.You cannot trap me, though you try,in your cobwebs crazy.

This use of a funny song definitely softens the gravity of the situation and is downright entertaining.

Congratulations to Benita J. Prin who answered yesterday's trivia question.  She is to be referred to as "O Benita the Tremendous" today ;)

Today's trivia question is (remember, try not to cheat by looking in your book):

Name two of the titles Bilbo bestows upon himself in the chapter Inside Information when he is telling Smaug who he is (ex. "I am the clue-finder...").

The winner is to be honorary King Under the Mountain for a day.  Bonne chance!

Image result for smaug meme
weknowmemes.com

2 comments:

  1. I have an unfair advantage because I got really familiar with TH when I did a fanfilm of it a couple years ago, but since no one else is answering... two of Bilbo's nicknames for himself were "web-cutter" and "stinging fly".

    For some reason I was under the impression you were homeschooled! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, King Under the Mountain! You sort of win by default, but it's a win nonetheless.

      Nope, I've gone to public school my whole life. For some reason though, the majority of my blog-friends are homeschooled which is interesting.

      Delete