Monday, September 5, 2016

Book Marathon Day IV

Of the Ruin of Doriath - An Unexpected Party

I started reading right when I woke up this morning (about 7:45) and did all 75 pages in one sitting so I can proudly say that I finished The Silmarillion!  Not only that, but I got to read through my favorite chapter in all of Tolkien ever: Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin.

Image result for tuor
pinterest.com

I noticed a couple things on this read-through.  The loss of "magic" as the world of Middle-earth ages struck me poignantly, beginning with Melian's withdrawing of power from Doriath:
"...change came also upon Melian.... [Her] power was withdrawn... from the forests of Neldoreth and Region, and Esgalduin the enchanted river spoke with a different voice, and Doriath lay open to its enemies."
But also continuing through the loss of the Silmarils:
“And thus it came to pass that the Silmarils found their long homes: one in the airs of heaven, and one in the fires of the heart of the world, and one in the deep waters.”
Even though it's a good thing the Silmarils are out of the way, I can't help but remember how beautiful they were told to have been and it is a sad fate that their beauty is now gone forever from mortal sight, unless it is preserved in Earendil's star.

Image result for silmarils
lotr.wikia.com

Even the last paragraph of the Quenta commemorates the diminishing of Middle-earth (at least in the Elves' perspectives):
“Here ends the SILMARILLION. If it has passed from the high and the beautiful to darkness and ruin, that was of old the fate of Arda Marred; and if any change shall come and the Marring be amended, Manwë and Varda may know; but they have not revealed it, and it is not declared in the dooms of Mandos.”
The first leg of the book marathon is over and tomorrow starts The Hobbit.  How are you on track for the book marathon?

Tomorrow is my first day of high school, so I wonder if I will have as much time to get my reading done...hmm...

Image result for reading during class
fanpop.com

2 comments:

  1. Alas, for those who have fallen! But we shall sing a song for joy that the Silmarils have at last come to rest in safe places. :')

    ReplyDelete