Sunday, September 4, 2016

Book Marathon Day III

Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin - The Fall of Doriath


Today was a perfect day for reading--it was cloudy outside my window but inside I had a scented candle burning and I was curled up in a new fleece-tied blanket I made yesterday pouring over The Silmarillion gleefully.


Today I got to read through two of the major stories of The Silmarillion, namely Of Beren and Luthien and Of Turin Turambar.  Both are some of my favorite stories in the entire book, but for very different reasons.

Of Beren and Luthien is a very poetic and romantic story of two lovers who go to Hell and back (pretty much literally) for each other and for the sake of their love.  This chapter includes some of my favorite quotes, including this delightful song that Beren sings as he wanders about thinking he will never see Luthien again:
"Farewell sweet earth and northern sky,
forever blessed since here did lie,
and here with lissom limbs did run
beneath the moon, beneath the sun,
Luthien Tinuviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
though all to ruin fell the world,
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into the old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this
the dawn, the dusk, the earth, the sea
that LĂșthien for a time should be."

Image result for beren and luthien
Credit to Gold-Seven 

Contrast that beautiful love song with the dark and depressing story of Turin Turambar.  Though this story is undoubtedly bleaker and has a tragic ending, it still includes its fair share of cunning and pithy quotes like:
"A Turin Turambar turun ambartanen: master of doom by doom mastered!  Farewell, O twice beloved!"
Which of those two stories is your favorite?  I am having a hard time deciding which one I like better, but I think I'm leaning toward Of Beren and Luthien.

Tomorrow I will finish up The Silmarillion and start in on The Hobbit.

How is your book marathon going?  Are you on track?  Do you need a couple tips for getting the reading packed in?

Image result for lots of books
www.zastavki.com

4 comments:

  1. I love the Gold-Seven piece you included. She's probably my number-one favorite Middle Earth Artist. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as which one is my favorite story- I'd say for me it's Beren and Luthien. Though, ironically, I read Turin Turambar more often. Maybe it's because my subconscious refuses to accept the ending and keeps trying to figure out how to reconcile it. XD

      Delete
    2. Haha XD
      I think I've read Of Turin Turambar more often also since I usually read it twice for every one time I read B&L (once in The Sil and once in The Children of Hurin).

      Delete