Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

Now my siblings are off and gone...

Today we dropped off Katie at college.  That means all five of my elder siblings are off (two at college and three living on their own) and I am the only remaining kid at home.

Image result for empty chairs at empty tables
My house right now
lesmiserables.wikia.com

Right now I feel like Marius sitting alone in a house where his friends used to be, but now are gone.  
There are some good things to being alone however, as well as bad aspects.

Pros

  • Katie's mound of college stuff will no longer be littering my living room.
  • Things around the house may be cleaner.
  • Stressed-out-Katie (Katie during the school year) will be miles away...she's no fun when stressed.
  • There will be less after school hassle to deal with.
  • I will be home alone more so I can belt Les Mis as loud as I want. 
  • Katie and I won't argue about what to make for dinner as much.
  • I will have the bathroom all to myself in the mornings before schools.
  • Kate and I won't argue which will make my parents less stressed.

Cons

  • I will have to do the dishes and make dinner more often.
  • I will have more chores all around probably including (gasp!) mowing the lawn..
  • Katie will be stressed and miles away which will be extra stressful for her.
  • I won't be able to get a ride in an emergency or if my bike tires go flat again.
  • I won't be able to borrow Katie's clothes anymore.
  • I won't be able to get Katie's advice about high school as easily.
  • Katie won't make me cold lunch anymore (although really I should just do that anyway).
  • I will miss Katie.

The good news is that Katie is going to college about a half-hour away so it's not a huge change, but it is still going to be different.

Are you an only child?  Have you ever been through a similar situation?  Do you have any advice for me?

11 comments:

  1. I'm far from an only child, but I know the feeling! I remember my sister leaving (for the convent, actually) when I was eight, but I was kind of too young to go through quite what you're feeling now. But when FOUR of my siblings were gone at the same time, it got even harder. I remember having similar pros and cons... what helped me was just praying for them a lot... if you're worried about Katie, give her a call! It really helps stress to know that someone out there is thinking of you, you know? Keeping in touch as much as you can is the best solution, I think. Also being busy with school helps missing someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, it would be so wonderful to be close to a religious sister! What a precious relationship :)

      I will definitely remember her in prayer and I'm sure we will keep in touch. Thank you so much for your beautiful advice.

      Delete
  2. Wow.... :'( That would make me so sad! I'm the oldest of seven, so I'll never have the problem of being the last one in the house, but I can't imagine watching all of my siblings go. They're my friends!! >_<
    Of course, moving on isn't a bad thing, and I'm sure it can and will be fun, but right now I tell my parents I'm probably gonna stick around til I'm married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful thing to be close to siblings and I'm glad you consider them your friends!

      I'm sure your parents will appreciate your company and it must be nice to have a chance to spend more time with your family rather than going away to college.

      Delete
  3. Oh, dear, that's so sad. It must be lonely to be the only one left at home... Hopefully you can still see your sister often since she's not that far away, even though it won't be the same.

    I only have a younger brother, so I've never gone through that experience. I don't know about him, but I plan to stay here until I get married. Living on my own has never appealed to me - I'm a very hobbit-like homebody.

    It must be fun to belong to such a big family! I've always wished I had more siblings.

    - Ellen Gianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be the same, but I know that sometimes it's even more fun to be with my siblings at college--spend a night with them in the dorm, sometimes even go swimming in the university pool, stuff like that. It won't be the same, but it'll be fun I'm sure.

      There's nothing wrong with that!

      I dearly love my siblings :)

      Delete
  4. my sis ,Fawnabelle Baggins, as you know her was gone from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. for a week.every.single.day!FOR A WEEK!And other than her I'm the only one in the house! The only kid that is.So, I can imagine what your going through :'(
    ps I hope you don't have to mow the lawn XD
    ---Liah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, for the pro-life camp, right? She told me about that. That's a long time to go without seeing your sister!
      Thank you, I hope I don't have to also XD

      Delete
  5. We just got back from dropping my older brother off at college six hours away. Con, I'll miss him; pro, I now have my own room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's far away. Hopefully you two can keep in touch even across such a large distance. I bet getting your own room is nice, though!

      Delete