Monday, August 8, 2016

Book Update

I stopped at Half Price Books and picked up a beautiful soft-cover copy of Corey Olsen's (better known as "The Tolkien Professor") Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit.  Adding this book to my collection officially marks the point where I can no longer fit my books on my shelf.

www.barnesandnoble.com
And thus, I have a question to ask my fellow book lovers.

I am thinking about reorganizing my bookshelf.  My question is: how should I do it?  Right now it is by genre, but it is pretty tricky to organize that; for example, does The Philosophy of Tolkien belong on the top "Tolkien shelf" or with my other philosophy and Peter Kreeft (the author of The Philosophy of Tolkien) books?

I've seen some beautiful shelves organized by color which could be impressive, but not very practical.  My greatest fear with this option is that books will be separated from their series-companions.

The other option is to organize by alphabetical order (author) and then within author categories, by book title/series title and number.

By the way, if anyone knows of quality (preferable cheap) LED lights (or the like) in strip form I can attach to the underside of my shelves to illuminate the book covers, I would be greatly appreciative.

I don't think I will re-organize until I finish reading through all the books on the shelf in the order they are currently in (if I rearrange them my schedule will get messed up) but I wanted to get your input.

So?  Thoughts?   Maybe you have a whole new idea I haven't even thought of!

9 comments:

  1. My theology/philosophy books are together and so are all my Tolkien ones but other than that there's not much organisation to my shelves. Theology is organised by author's last name, whilst Tolkien is... not very organised (except that books BY Tolkien are together, followed by ones by other authors).

    I had a dilemma too over whether to put The Philosophy of Tolkien with theology/philosophy with my other Kreefts, or with Tolkien. The latter won out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off topic, but my new profile picture matches your blog XD

      Delete
    2. Hmm, interesting. I think The Philsophy of Tolkien makes sense to go with Tolkien books, so I'll keep those together. By the way, how did you like that book?

      Oh perfect! It looks really nice :)

      Delete
  2. Currently I arrange my books according to size, but as soon as I get my new shelf it will be by alphabetical order. :) I would check at your local Walmart or Menards for cheap LED lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a style I hadn't considered. Ok, I will look there. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I currently organize by genre and then alphabetically within each genre. My genres are: Tolkien (everything either by him or about him, so The Philosophy of Tolkien goes there), Star Wars (fiction and non-fiction), plays, classics/general adult fiction (plus Narnia, because I didn't want to separate C.S. Lewis's fiction), dog/horse stories (that's a genre for me;)), and children's. In a separate bookcase, I have my Bible, Catechism, and all my religious books, further divided into categories: saints, papal writings, and all-the-rest. Finally, there's a few random non-fiction books together, followed by dog training and about-the-breed books.

    The drawback to this, of course, is tricky genre overlap, so I'm never completely satisfied . . . Sometimes I keep only Tolkien and Star Wars separated and just throw all the other fiction genres together in alphabetical order. I'm always changing my mind and reorganizing.

    - Ellen Gianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem--constantly reorganizing! It's interesting to read how you set up your shelf. It seems pretty logical, maybe I'll do something similar. Thanks for your sharing your ideas!

      Delete
  4. I loved that book! Have you read it yet?
    I organize alphabetically by author's last name but that's what I'm used to from how we organized books growing up. Personally I think it's the easiest or else I'd lose books as I'd forget where I'd put it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet read Corey Olsen's book but I hope to soon!
      I think that makes the most logical sense...I'm leaning toward that option now.

      Delete