Friday, August 19, 2016

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Mild Spoilers Ahead

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is a satirical story about chivalry and the medieval times by Mark Twain.  In it, the yankee travels back to the 500s and lives at King Arthur's court, wowing the people with his "magic" which is really just science that he brought back from the future.  Some have said that it's critique of chivalry is similar to Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes.

I really disliked this book.  It was written with the "we're the best" attitude that was so prevalent in the late seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.  The yankee is so convinced that he is much better at everything than the stinky medieval unenlightened pigs that he doesn't learn anything or change throughout the entire book.

It is basically just a run through of criticism of the medieval times, which I did not appreciate since I actually find some things of value from that time.

Aside from attacking the time period itself and the system of lords and kings, the story goes shamelessly after the Roman Catholic Church with insult after insult.  My edition had horrible cartoon drawings on pretty much every page mocking the Church.  I understand that the people within the Catholic Church are by no means perfect and have done some horrible things throughout history but it still feels bad to have someone consistently come at your church.

Basically this book was not only very negative and making fun of things I hold dear, but it was boring.  As avid a reader as I am, I find myself spacing out at least every page because I just didn't care.  I didn't get anything out of this book--besides frustration--and I think it is a waste of time to read.

I do not recommend this book at all, in fact I caution against reading it.

Have you gone through the ordeal of reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?  What did you think of the negativity?

Do you have to read A Connecticut Yankee?  How are you going to make it through?

Comment below :)

2 comments:

  1. I read it several years ago and had the exact same as you. I hated it! Especially the constant jabs at the Church. >:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree with me! I found it very distasteful.

      Delete