Friday, July 8, 2016

Things that Bother Lord of the Rings Fans

Pronouncing names incorrectly

Trying to assign allegorical themes to the story

Frodo and Sam slash fan-fiction (just stop, please)



Trying to make Arwen a warrior

Turning Eowyn into a twisted feminist figure (see the post)

Running out of arrows



Going on a road trip but forgetting to bring your books along

Working on an art project without your copy of the soundtrack

Being unable to figure out how Legolas braids his hair so beautifully

Having a hard time holding your paperback version of The Lord of the Rings open as you try to type a quote

When people suggest the Eagles Fly to Mordor theory



Faramir's change from the book (nice and humble) to the movie (takes the Ring!!)

Calling Lord of the Rings a trilogy

Calling Ents "tree-people" (no, they're Ents; "shepherds of the forest" if you need another name for them, but they are not "tree-people")

Depending on what kind of fan you are, that scene where Legolas gets on the horse (because physics is different in Middle-earth apparently)

Again, it varies, but this shot bothers some fans.

reprog.wordpress.com

The fact that the movies portrayed Gandalf as having a really good grip on the bridge of Khazad-dum before he fell--if it was really that good of a grip, couldn't Aragorn or someone have just pulled him up?  Really, either have him fall dramatically, or have someone go pick him up!  You can't have it both ways.

The fact that "Dagorlad" is spelled wrong on Faramir's map in The Two Towers movie (on the map it actually says "Dagorland")


When people call The Two Towers "The Twin Towers".  No people; one is a highly popular fantasy book, the other was a terrible tragedy in the U.S. 

All the near-death-but-we-all-know-that-character-doesn't-die moments from the movies.

When whiny bloggers complain about relatively inconsequential pet peeves (like what's happening right now ;)

What bothers you about The Lord of the Rings or about other people and what they say about LOTR?  Do you have any unbearable pet-peeves?

11 comments:

  1. Haha, great post! I'm not 100 percent sure I agree on ALL of them, but there were quite a few that made me laugh. Or cringe (a.k.a. Sam/Frodo fanfics. Eww, just, no.) Others are these 1) Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs were cut from the movie (they slow the plot or whatever, I know, I know) and 2) The way Pippin and Merry join Frodo and Sam in the movie is just plain wrong. They WANT to help him and be there for him in his hardest times, and the movie just portrays them as silly tween hobbits. But I guess it's forgivable, because they have a ton of character growth in the next two films... Mkay, I'm gonna stop ranting now... But great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Personally I was okay with Tom's exclusion from the movies since he's not one of my favorites, but I could see how that would bother someone.

      TRUE! I didn't think of the Merry/Pippin thing but you're totally right; the way they join up with Frodo and Sam is really lackluster.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Why would the shot of Galadriel bother someone? It seemed like she was just revealing her Shadow-world self for a moment, at least to me. :)
    Legolas's braid is a fishtail braid, by the way. My grandma did my hair that way for me, and it was really cool.


    Most of these are really accurate. Made me smile. But I have to admit... although it wasn't in the books, Arwen's action scene in the movie didn't bother me much. I thought she looked really cool! I was just disappointed not to see Glorfindel.
    And I've always considered the Lord of the Rings a trilogy, just one within a larger series. *shrug* A matter of perspective, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard from some fans that the deep voice and flashy sequence with Galadriel is a bit too over-dramatic and dark compared to the relatively simply monologue she gave in the book. I don't really have an opinion on that subject, but I was just gathering from various sources what fans collectively have a problem with.

      I fishtail my hair a lot but it is hard for me to do on the top like Legolas' because it takes a while and my arms get tired ;)

      Definitely everyone has their own opinions, these are just some things various people (and some I personally) have a problem with.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes... arms getting tired while braiding. Your hair must be at least moderately long, huh? When I had hip-length hair, it got really exhausting to braid it. XD

      Delete
    3. The thing with the Galadriel sequence is that in the book Tolkien described her as being great and terrible at that moment, yes, but also unbearably beautiful. In the film, she just looks like a witch. :/

      Delete
    4. Emmarayn- my hair is about mid-hip length right now and while I love it, it does have its shortcomings (one of which is the fact my arms practically snap every time I try to put it up nicely).

      Benita- I agree with you, it was a bit over the top in the films.

      Delete
  3. Generally my biggest pet peeves about the movies are the movies themselves. I just felt Jackson mucked around too much with the character's motivations, with their nobility (see Faramir here big time), and with the spirit of the books. He tried of course, so I'll give him props for that. And the cinematography is superb. Otherwise.

    Although I did watch Fellowship last night. Amazon had a deal for Amazon Prime members where you could rent the movies for 99 cents each. Of course Fellowship has never bothered me so much; it's a decent movie. Two Towers is where I fell off the bandwagon & then never went on to watch Return. But I'll give them a shot.

    Seeing the Galadriel moment last night as I watched, it was odd but not bad. They could get the terrible part down but not the terrible beauty part.

    Don't have to worry about forgetting my LOTR when I go on trips; it's all on my Kindle.

    And yes to the death of Frodo-Sam slash. C.S. Lewis said all the way back in 1958:

    “It has actually become very necessary in our time to rebut the theory that every firm and serious friendship is really homosexual.”

    Also:

    “Those who cannot conceive of Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard those quotes before- they're great! Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. They're from his book The Four Loves.

      Delete
    3. I've always had a soft spot for the movies mostly because they are what introduced me to the books, but I definitely see where you're coming from and agree with you on your points.

      I really like those quotes as well--and The Four Loves is an incredible book. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete