Sunday, July 10, 2016

Confessions of a Lord of the Rings Fan

I borrowed the extended editions of the movies from my friend...three months ago.

I always drink out of the largest cup in the house (the giant Legolas slushie cup from the movie theater) even though it has to be hand washed.

My own photo

I never finished listening to all the Tolkien Professor podcasts (there are like 200,000!).

When I go somewhere new I wear my LOTR T-shirt to make starting conversations easier and attract other LOTR fans so I can make friends.

I never wear my Evenstar necklace because it's too preciousssss.

I have LOTR Trivial Pursuit but no one will play with me anymore because "it's not a competition" anymore.

www.pinterest.com

I take pride in the fact that my copy of the Silmarillion is completely beat up well-loved.

I tell myself I need to watch more classic movies and then I end up re-watching The Lord of the Rings.

I didn't go to my 8th grade formal dance when I was younger because I wanted to stay home and marathon LOTR.

memegenerator.net

I rant to my friends about The Lord of the Rings even though they've never read it and couldn't care any less.

I've never sympathized with Eowyn and find her character and motivations sort of baffling and strange.

I'm one of the fans who saw the movies first and then read the books, you know, the type that original-book-fans have problems with.

Sometimes when I see words like "celebrate" or "celebrity" I pronounce them as you would in Elvish; with a hard "c" sound.

Eowyn in the Rankin-Bass movie
www.geocities.ws

I've joined so many fan websites, that now I can't remember all my usernames and passwords.

When listening to the soundtrack, I can picture exactly what is happening in the movie at any given point.

I can apply a Lord of the Rings quote to practically any situation.

I have memorized the Elvish lyrics to May it Be by Enya.

I can't watch any films with any LOTR actors in them without automatically thinking of the role they play in LOTR.

Even when dressed up like a diplomat in The Princess Diaries 2,
John Rhys-davies is still Gimli to me.
www.aceshowbiz.com

6 comments:

  1. I relate to so many of these! Especially the one about there being a LOTR quote for any occasion - I haven't been able to prove that wrong yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Tolkien's writing very applicable to daily life as well!
      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. I don't mind people who watched the movies first and then read the books. What really annoys me are the people who end up saying the movies are better than the books. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see. Well I'm glad that the fact I saw the movies first doesn't bother you :)

      Delete
  3. I am proud to say I can confess to most of these :P

    Numbers 8, 9, 15, 16, 17, and 18 are the ones I can also confess. When I shared #9 with my mom, she said, "That sounds familiar!" XD

    And yes, he is still Gimli to me too XD

    ReplyDelete