Thursday, June 16, 2016

New Books!

My mom and I went downtown yesterday for dermatologist appointment, but we had time to stop at a book store which sells gently used books for half the retail price.

Right when I got in the store I was drawn directly to a section of first/rare editions.  Among them were leather-bound versions of Don Quixote and The Canterbury Tales which were absolutely gorgeous.  But since I'm by no means rich, I did not have enough money to spend on them.


Directly across from that was a little glass case just labelled "Tolkien".  Inside were the first three hardcover versions of The History of Middle-earth series, The Middle-earth Atlas, and a few other rare Tolkien books.  I have been searching all over for The History of Middle-earth which I still don't have, but they were, again, to expensive.

So I was a bit crestfallen.  As I went through the rest of the store, however, I found that there was another Tolkien section with cheaper books.  After looking through books with maps, theme analyses, biographical information, and even a beat up copy of The Book of Lost Tales Part I, I finally decided to buy The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien and a paperback version of The Unfinished Tales.

I am so happy to add these to my collection!

16 comments:

  1. WHAT?! You found the letters?! So lucky...

    Ooh, those hardcovers sound really nice! It's too bad they were pricey. Oh well, at least you got two new books! Two is definitely better than one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was pretty excited! People are always referencing it but before now I could never look up the quotes.

      Very true :)

      Delete
  2. I have a paperback version of The Unfinished Tales, and a hardcover edition of The Lost Tales (I think volume II, but I could be wrong). Actually, that Lost Tales book is the first Tolkien work I ever read, even before the Hobbit of the Lord of the Rings! :) It was good to have that set up of the world before reading the mainstream books.

    Sounds like you saw some pretty beautiful books! Last Christmas I saw faux leather bound editions of the trilogy and The Hobbit, and it's still on my wishlist. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's different! It must be so different to come into Middle-earth in that way.

      Wow, they sound beautiful. HarperCollins is always coming out with wonderful deluxe editions of the books that have slip cases and everything--alas, I probably will never be able to afford them. At least I could get these two! :D

      Delete
  3. Oooooooooo!!! I know all about things being to expensive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I have a large family so we're always trying to save anyway we can. We shop at thrift stores a lot (although honestly I prefer the clothing there--it's unique and you can always find something that fits your style) and rarely go out to eat...but, when it comes to books, I have no qualms about emptying my pockets ;)

      Delete
  4. Same here!! Thrift stores are the best!! You can get decent clothing at decent prices. Goodwill and Youth Ranch are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodwill is the best! I went to Savers once and it really nice too. Never heard of Youth Ranch--I'll look it up :)

      Delete
    2. I absolutely LOVE Savers! That's where I've found the best pieces for costumes :D

      Delete
    3. Oh nice! I found a lot of nice shoes and books there, but didn't have much time to look around for costume stuff. Well now I know where I'm going for Halloween!

      Delete
    4. It's really nice--it's like Goodwill but I think Savers is a bit choosier about what they put out which means things are nicer quality, but you might not find exactly what you were looking for. They might not have any in your area, but if the do you should check it out.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Haha I'm guessing you are interested in those books too! I should have reviews of them up soon so check back here and we can chat more about them :)
      Thanks for commenting, I love seeing new faces around the blog!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a cool store! :D And yay for new Tolkien books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing place! New books are always great :D

      Delete