Sunday, June 5, 2016

Leaf by Niggle News

Tolkien's short story Leaf by Niggle is to be published for the first time in its own volume by HarperCollins on July 28, 2016.  The story recounts the journey of Niggle through the end of his life and the afterlife.  It is marked as Tolkien's most clearly allegorical tales and has been published in 1945, gain in 1964, then in 1966, 1980, 1997, and most recently, 2002.  It has, however, never been published on its own until this year.

You can pre-order the book in paperback (64 pages) or in audio-book form for only £3.99 here.  Unfortunately this deal is only available to residents of the United Kingdom.

Information provided by HarperCollins is as follows:
"Published for the very first time in its own volume, Tolkien’s remarkable tale about a painter whose obsession with detail prevents him from finishing his great work. 
"Niggle is a painter. Not a very successful one, partly because he has so many other things to do. For some time he has been obsessed with one particular canvas – a curious picture of a tree with a vast landscape stretching out behind it. The painting keeps getting bigger and bigger, but Niggle has a journey to make. 
"In 1939 Tolkien was despairing of ever bringing his great work The Lord of the Rings to a conclusion. One morning he woke up with the story Leaf by Niggle complete in his mind and wrote it down. This poignant story, about an artist on a curious journey, is often seen as an allegory of the writer’s own creative process and life.   
"Published to coincide with a new touring stage production of the story, this is the first time the story has been published in its own volume, enabling readers to savour one of Tolkien’s most elegant, haunting and least-known short stories."
It has received critical aclaim:
‘As with all good short stories, this one expands in the imagination. Mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow, indeed.’ The Times
 ‘Brings a wistful charm to complex issues of truth, beauty, duty and creative aspiration.’ The Herald
‘A haunting and successful demonstration of the qualities of faerie’ New York Times 
The cover has yet to be revealed.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, this is the author from Catholic Teen. I saw your blog in my "referred from" tab. That doesn't happen very much, getting recommended from other blogs, so I checked it out. And I have to say, your blog is AMAZING!!! I absolutely love it and I am so honored that you follow and even recommended little ol' me. I am sure my good friend and the author of Talking Tolkien, another blog you follow would be deeply honored and even more excited to read your blog. Again, thank you so much and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I have to say that your comment totally made my day! That is so sweet of you :D You're completely deserving of the link; I think as many people as possible should read your blog and if some find it through mine I will be overjoyed! Keep up the good work and God bless you as well, friend :)

      Delete
    2. I told the author of Talking Tolkien about this and she freaked out :). She won't stop talking about it. Thanks a lot and God Bless!

      Delete
    3. Aw, that's wonderful! Send her my greetings :)

      Delete
  2. That's really interesting, I've vaguely heard of this but knew nothing of the story. Cool that Tolkien wrote it while working on LotR too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to say that I've never read the book in it's entirety, but I listened to a very good podcast by The Tolkien Professor you may find interesting. Here's a link: http://tolkienprofessor.com/lectures/courses/the-undergraduate-tolkien-survey/

      Delete
  3. Yes! I love Leaf by Niggle. It's adorable and lovely and sweet and interesting and, of course, strange. I really want HM to publish a nice copy of JUST the appendices, that one could carry around in one's purse all the time. A handy-dandy Middle-Earth reference book. It would only need to be about the size of a small address book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great idea! A sort of pocket-guide--oh I wish that too :D

      Delete