Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Bishop Robert Barron

Bishop Robert Barron of Word on Fire is one of my great heroes--you can usually find me listening to his podcast, watching his YouTube videos or checking his Twitter for all his updates.  He is--in my opinion--one of the greatest evangelists out there and I deeply enjoy listening to his philosophical and theological takes on all things popular culture.

I will leave some links to Bishop Barron's work, but there are three of his videos in particular I recently viewed that I wanted to share.  They are all from his YouTube series and they are about The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (what else?).

This first one (below) is the Bishop's commentary on The Hobbit following the release of the movie, An Unexpected Journey.   In it, he spends a fair amount of time discussing the character of Bilbo and his "coming of age", compares some of Bilbo's experiences to our spiritual experiences, etc.  I will let you watch the video for yourselves to hear more.

The next two videos focus on The Lord of the Rings themselves and how Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn all have certain Christ-like qualities and deals with many of the basic Christian themes in the story that you may not have noticed.
I highly recommend these videos to anyone--even if you're not Catholic or Christian because they are a great introduction to some of the themes prevalent in the stories.

Links from Bishop Robert Barron 

3 comments:

  1. I love Word on Fire! Every time my mom gets a LOTR related WOF post on Facebook, she forwards it to me XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word on Fire is AMAZING. Have you ever listened to the Word on Fire show? It's about a half hour podcast and I really recommend it. Ooh, do me a favor and let me know if there are more LOTR posts from WOF!

      Delete