Thursday, April 28, 2016

An Interview with Aragorn

King Elessar of Gondor has graciously agreed to offer Lover of Lembas in interview!  Thank you for being with us, your Highness.

Please, call me Aragorn.


Of course, your Highness.  How are things in the realm of Gondor?

Things are continuing very similar to how they were at the beginning of my reign--peaceful, stable, and most of all, simple.  The people here are very kind and receptive--I couldn't have asked for better subjects.  Our agriculture industry is doing very well; many farms are producing above quota for the season.  Faramir says it's because "all things will grow with joy" if Eowyn is in the area, so maybe that's why...

How is your family, King?

Please, just call me Aragorn.  Arwen is doing well--radiant as always--and our son is growing up very quickly.  Arwen seems to be a favorite in the kingdom.  The Numenorians have always had a special relationship with elves, and I suppose that's why they love her so much.  And the fact she is pretty much perfect in every way.  At least in my opinion.  She misses her family, understandably, and I always tease her it's better this way: neither of us have to deal with in-laws.  I should probably stop saying that.

Erm, yes I would be inclined to agree with you, Aragorn.  You probably should stop saying that.  Anyway, have you spoken to any of the other members of the fellowship recently?

Yes.  I was just on a business trip in Arnor and saw Frodo and the others briefly.  That area is very beautiful and the Hobbits seem to be doing well.  Pippin was happy to see me and says he wants to come visit Gondor as soon as he can.  There are lots of tiny Hobbit kids running all over the place--Sam, Pippin, and Merry all have little hobbitings that are delightful--though they kept pulling on my hair.  

Sounds wonderful.  What is the greatest challenge you've confronted since ascending to the throne?

Oh it is definitively sewing new standards for all the flag poles.  We can't use the old ones which were only for the Stewards, so I've been meeting every week to talk designs to finalize how we want the new flag of the kings to look.  I talked with Arwen about the one standard she made me, but we both agree it may be too expensive to make all of the flags out of gems.  We're heading back to the drawing board, again.

That's the biggest challenge?  So things must be going pretty well, I'm guessing.

I suppose you could say that, but I think the fact we can't decide on a standard is pretty major.

Riiight....What are you going to do with what was formerly known as Mordor?  Will you assimilate that into your own land?

No.  Sauron may be vanquished, but the evil seeds he has sewn and Morgoth before him still linger, poisoning the earth.  I hired Treebeard to look after some of the land in that area and see what he can do to heal its hurts.  I haven't talked to Legolas and Gimli for awhile, but that is what they were planning on doing, I believe.

Let's go back to your years in the War of the Ring.  Tell us a bit about your life as a Ranger of the North?

It was very difficult to have all my work go unnoticed and unappreciated.  A fat Hobbit in Bree called me "Strider"...little did he know what I--and my people--have done to protect them all from horrors they couldn't even imagine.  It was a humble and dangerous existence, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I have gained so much from those years: I learned how to practice self-denial, discipline, patience, and I've honed my leadership and battle skills.  

More than the difficulty of life on the road with no permanent home was seeing my noble people reduced to the life of a peasant.  I resolved that I would do whatever I could to restore them to their proper place, even if I wouldn't be around long enough to reap the benefits.

What was your life like in Imladris?

Lord Elrond, Arwen, and the twins were of course very hospitable, and I wouldn't trade my time learning from their elvish wisdom for anything.  Elrond taught me many invaluable lessons about being a benevolent leader and a good father.  I tease Arwen about her family being gone, but the truth is, I miss them a lot too.

Tell us about your relationship with Arwen.

Arwen has honestly been the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I know it sounds cliche, but it's true.  Without her, nothing--not the kingship, not even the vanquish of Sauron--would be worth it to me.  I would still do it, to save my friends, but there would always be something missing.

And tell us about your son?

Eldarion is growing into a fine young man.  He is only eight years old, but he is already very interested in swordplay and archery.  The other kids treat him like one of their own and I try hard to keep him grounded.  But he reminds me of Faramir; he is very studious as well as battle savvy.  

Is there anything you would like to say to the readers of Lover of Lembas?

"All that is gold does not glitter."  The outlook may be bleak, but never give up hope.

Thank you so much for being here, your highness.

May the West wind always be at your back, Lover of Lembas.

4 comments:

  1. *squeals so much* OHMYGOSH I LOOOOOOVE THIS!!! I was dying while reading this in the car and my friends were there too so they kept giving me weird looks... I DON'T CARE THIS IS AWESOME!!! Everything in this is just *dies* PERFECT! The in-laws, the flags(I LOVED THIS ONE A LOT), and the little hobbitlings(SO CUTE I CAN'T EVEN...) Amazing job with this. I am blown away! Sorry this is super long but I had to tell you truly how much I LOVED this. Okay I'm good now :)

    ReplyDelete