Friday, March 4, 2016

The Blue(?) Tree of Gondor

UGH BLOGGER, WHY YOU RUIN MY DREAMS?

I DID post today, but somehow things got messed up and this post got moved ahead of it.  If you want to read today's post, it is right below this one and is titled The Cold Waters of the Teiglin.  Now my perfect record of posting every day (okay maybe not perfect) is ruined since it says this was posted today even though it was actually yesterday.  Ugh, angst.

***

My friends are the best and they surprised me with a 3D printed version of the Tree of Gondor just out of the blue (no pun intended...).

It's not exactly the "White Tree of Gondor", considering it is actually a quite brilliant shade of blue.  But hey, it matches my room and I'm happy. You can see the picture at the bottom of this post because I struggle with using the blogger app and I couldn't figure out how to move it...

Thanks friends!


Personally, I really dislike the cover,
but you're never supposed the judge a book
by it's cover :)  I would recommend it if you're
into reading some of the sources Tolkien
may have used for inspiration.

Okay a couple other things.  I've been reading the Norton Anthology of British Literature (it's a pretty dense read, but interesting if you're willing to put in the time) and I've found a couple things in the Middle Ages volume which I think may have influenced Tolkien.

Both things come from the Anglo-Saxon section.

The first is the mention of the word Middle-earth.  I've heard of this phrase before and I knew it came from an Anglo-Saxon poem, but just a couple days ago I actually read that poem for myself.

The translation from the Anglo-Saxon is actually quite beautiful and reads:

...eternal Lord,
the beginning established.
He first created for men's sons
heaven as a roof, holy Creator;
then middle-earth mankind's Guardian,
eternal Lord, afterwards made--
for men earth, Master almighty.

The phrase Middle-earth I am told is used elsewhere in The Wanderer which I have not yet read but is included in this anthology and will read soon.


2 comments: