Wednesday, March 2, 2016

My LOTR Sketches

I'm an not an artist, nor do I play one on TV.  I have never taken any formal classes in art (besides in school) and I really don't have much time to draw, but when I do, I draw characters from Middle-earth.

And so, here are my drawings.

This drawing of Smaug's eye I am particularly proud of.  You can't see it very well in this photo, but on paper it really looks like the eye is shiny.


































I actually just started this one today and you can still see my marks for lighting and obviously not much is done here.  It is supposed to be Idril looking over the walls of Gondolin.  I liked the idea of adding a veil because it seemed very medieval, and I love drawing with the wind.

I am nowhere near done shading this drawing, and the proportions are a bit off, but I just loved the fluidity of the hair and wanted to keep going.  I have drawn this type of dress with this sleeve more times than I can count, but I added the girdle and the embroidery along the bicep.  I messed up the hands, so I shaded the sleeves super dark but when I went back to erase, it was too dark!  Not sure what to do...

This one I actually drew for this blog for my Deep Roots are not Reached by the Frost post, but at the last minute I chickened out because I messed up on the Tengwar in the corner and I was too nervous to actually post it.
























This is my one and only drawing of Eowyn, and I couldn't bring myself to add a face, lest I wreck the rest of the drawing.





























CAUTION: This next one is the worst :)

I extremely messed up Sam's mouth in this drawing, and obviously I never finished shading this drawing of Sam and Frodo "at the end of all things".

All in all, I may not be the best artist, but I try :)

What Lord of the Rings drawings have you done?

8 comments:

  1. BRAVA! I applaud you for not being scared to post up drawings(hint: I am very scared heehee). I feel like my drawings are never finished and that's probably why I don't show anyone my drawings. And I agree, I would rather NOT draw a face than wreck the rest of the drawing haha ;) Smaug's eye is AMAZING by the way! Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! You really should post your drawings! I would love to see them, but don't worry about it if you really don't want to :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I will probably give in and post them anyway haha XD

      Delete
  2. These are good! You've done pretty well for "not being an artist". I like your picture of Sam and Frodo. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That means a lot coming from such a great artist as yourself :)

      Delete
  3. I like your drawings. You have a great style. I especially liked the one of Idril looking over the walls of Gondolin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate your encouragement :)

      Delete