Sunday, April 24, 2016

My Book Shelf

My favorite part of my entire room is my book shelf.  I just changed out some of my older books (by older I mean to me, not in publishing date) for some brand new (to me) books I got from my older sister.  Apparently she had an entire box of books just sitting in her closet I was unaware of!  I decided they needed a place of honor in my room and my other books went to the downstairs bookshelf.  I am very proud of how my shelf is looking now, and decided it needed a photo shoot.  Also, I am currently engaged in a vigorous re-read-every-book-on-your-shelf-athon so it seemed like the perfect time.  So without further ado, my bookshelf.
































My old teacher gave me some string lights she had in her classroom, so now my books have spotlights to emphasize their beauty.  One of my copies of The Hobbit is missing in the following photos because, well, I was reading it.

Deep breath.

The top shelf is dedicated to my favorite books.  I have two copies of The Silmarillion.  The larger one (blue and black) I use for annotating and taking notes.  It's a lot easier for me to read that one because it has larger font and bigger pages.  I have another mini paperback which I haven't actually used for reading as of yet.  

I have The Children of Hurin, The Hobbit, (two copies, one with the Ted Nasmith cover and another from the Ballantine Books set) The Lord of the Rings (one hard cover copy of The Fellowship, one movie paperback cover of The Two Towers, and one Ballantine Books edition copy of The Return of the King) and then The Philosophy of Tolkien by the amazing Peter Kreeft which I have just been dying to read.  Of course I have my brand new hard cover never before read fifthtieth  anniversary single volume copy of The Lord of the Rings.  

I also have my wooden box set of the Hobbit audiobook.  I have to say that audiobook saved my sanity a couple times.  My nephew--amazing as he is--would not go to bed for anything.  He was just so excited to be at his aunt's house, I suppose.  As it came up on midnight, I finally cracked.  I turned on the audiobook and set him in his sleeping bag.  He listened pretty closely and eventually--to my joy!--fell asleep.  

I figured my (dismally sad) collection of medieval lit (a lot of my other books, Le Mort d'Arthur, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Lancelot Knight of the Cart, etc. is on my iPad).  I have Roger Lancelyn Green's compilation of the King Arthur tales called King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and a compendium of Middle Ages lit.  Of course I have the glorious edition of Beowulf which is just the most beautiful book and (of course) Tolkien's translation.  Finally, I have The Art of The Lord of the Rings book with radiant color pictures by Tolkien himself.

Here is my C.S. Lewis collection.  I have my completely beat-up Chronicles of Narnia section followed by The Four Loves, Perelandra and the Screwtape Letters.  I have another Inkling author right next door, with G.K. Chesterton's The Everlasting Man (which I have not read yet!).  I have Sir Thomas More's Utopia also on my TBR list.

I also have my religious stack which has the most elegant prayer missal I got at a lock in awhile ago.  I of course have the Bible and Devotional Stories for Little Folks and DSLF Too, two great volumes of family friendly stories of love and family.  My sister's book which I am keeping on my shelf, 57 Stories of Saints and the Catholic Faith Handbook are also featured.

I've read a few Redwall books.  I remember them being dense and hard to read, but then again the last time I tried was probably fourth grade.  So I have four of what my sister claims are the best in the series and I'm going to try to read them all soon.  

Then I have what I call my classical section: mythology, Shakespeare, Euripedes, Homer, Theban plays, Metamorphisis of Ovid, etc.  I have very limited knowledge of each of these (I've read some Shakespeare at least...) and I am really eager to read them. I'm not sure how closely they are related, but I figured they seem like the type of books you would read in an English class, so I put them all together.

Ah, finally, books "regular" people read!  This is my "contemporary" section with my small number of mainstream books: Divergent, The Hunger Games, Life of Pi, etc.  Also I have Regina Doman's series of fairy tale retellings (Black as Night, Waking Rose, and The Midnight Dancers) which I would strongly recommend as books with well developed characters combined with mystery and the perfect touch of fairy tale.

Here are my real classics: The Jungle Book, The Swiss Family Robinson, Animal Farm, Great Expectations, Emily Dickinson's poems, Alice in Wonderland, Wuthering Heights, Mansfield Park, Robinson Crusoe, Jane Eyre, and Little Women as well as the Rhyming Dictionary perfect for poetry.  Also tucked in there on the side are some world history flash cards.

Well, there you have it folks.  My book shelf of special magnificence! 

10 comments:

  1. YAY! I loved this post!:D

    Hey, we have the same bible! And the same Silmarillion paperback copy! Cool!

    I have to do one of these! Thanks for the idea!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL twinning! You should totally do one of these, I'd love to read it!

      Delete
  2. I Love all of those books! ~Taz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Tolkien collection. :) The Beowulf version looks really cool (and a wooden Hobbit audio book box? How neat!).
    I have a very small selection of contemporary novels myself, as mine is mostly composed of the classics and some fairy tales (not Regina Doman, but I do like those books!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to expand my collection of classics soon.

      Delete
  4. I like your "books regular people read". :) My shelves have few of those too. You have a great Tolkien collection! We have a lot of books in common. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! Great minds read alike :)

      Delete
  5. Your bookshelf is cool! :D Nice to see the Cottage at Bantry Bay books on someone else's shelf. :) And of course nice Tolkien books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Cottage at Bantry Bay books are great--got to love those good old Irish country families ;)

      Delete