Friday, February 26, 2016

Merlin

This doesn't have much to do strictly with The Lord of the Rings, but I figured it is something many LOTR fans would enjoy.  For the past few months I have been scouring Netflix for good medieval-themes shows.  Game of Thrones is to graphic for me, World Without End I quickly abandoned because it was unrealistic and sort of boring, but on Monday I hit the gold.

I'm a big fan of medieval literature--if you couldn't tell--and my favorite medieval lit book is Le Mort d'Arthur, a compilation of the stories of King Arthur of Camelot.  So when I found a 2008 BBC show called Merlin, I was intrigued.  It has quickly become my new favorite show.

It doesn't follow strictly to the book-- Arthur never pulls the sword out of the stone, and was always the acknowledged heir, and due to it's PG nature I doubt Mordred will end up being Arthur's son/nephew (Morgana is not his sister in this series).  It's not very historically accurate (many people read, citrus fruit is found around the castle) and the effects are not very good, but somehow...I still love it!

When I first saw it, I was not impressed and I thought I would hate it, but...

I'm only eight episodes into the first season, but I already feel so attached to the characters, particularly Merlin, Arthur, Gwen, and Gais.  

I fully recommend this show to anyone who likes medieval themed things and awesome soundtracks.

Not quite sure why, but I felt the need to make a side by side comparison of Aragorn and Arthur.

The main character is a young Merlin who has to take care of Arthur and make sure he doesn't mess things up in Camelot without letting anyone in the court know he's a wizard--or he could face execution.

Merlin and Arthur make the perfect complementary pair and their inside jokes are hilarious.

You should give Merlin a try and let me know what you think about it!

13 comments:

  1. My mom and sisters and I watched this series a year or two ago and we loved it. :D Ah, good times, good times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhh yesssssss!! I am only 3 episodes into the first season, but it is really brilliant and you are in for a few surprises!!! I happen to know several spoilers because my older sister has seen the whole show and talked about it quite often besides showing me clips to hook me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SOOO good!! I just finished first season today and (without further spoilers) I just about melted. Such a roller coaster of emotion! I thought I would know what happens since I've read the books, but man was I wrong. Oh goodness, it's so nice to have others to fangirl with!

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhh believe me, event though I have only seen 3 episodes, I can fangirl all you want to!! And there aren't really any spoilers that you can give me.

      Delete
    3. Okay, good to know! I'm torn between watching all the episodes as fast as I can (I just can't wait!) and trying to savor them--I'm thinking I will watch them all (one a day, maybe?) wait a few months, and then re-watch. Thoughts?

      Delete
    4. Well if I could, I would just binge watch.......and then re-watch. But I unfortunately can't! So I say watch, and then re-watch!!

      Delete
    5. Sounds like a plan to me! How do you watch them? I use Netflix.

      Delete
    6. Netflix. We watch things either there, or on Hulu.

      Delete
  3. I adore this show. So. Much. <3 So glad to see someone else who appreciates it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I had no idea there were so many fans of the show--it's awesome!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you found this show! It's a favorite of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has quickly become my favorite too!

      Delete