Sunday, January 3, 2016

#TolkienBirthdayToast

Happy twelvety-fourth birthday, Professor!

We've never met before and you've never heard of my name, but I sure have heard of yours!  You're my favorite author, in fact and that's saying a lot because books are very important to me.  I'm not quite sure what makes your books my favorite...the style, the deeper meanings, the inspiration, the characters...I may never know, and that would be okay.

But I sure am glad that you wrote them--a pretty big risk, I'm guessing, in your strictly scholarly and professional field...but you did it and stood by them even when other professors and critics were looking down upon them.  You sticking by your love for myth and legend probably single-handedly made it possible for other authors to cultivate their passion for writing.  I am equally glad that I had a chance to read them.  They honestly changed my life, gave me inspiration, and not a day goes by when I don't think about them.

Anyway, considering this is your birthday, I wanted to join in with the thousands of other people who appreciate your work and your dedication and just offer this toast:


1 comment: