Friday, January 8, 2016

The Strangers

This is a poem I wrote based on this section of The Silmarillion:

"But the sons of Men die indeed, and leave the world; wherefore they are called the Guests, or the Strangers.  Death is their fate, the gift of Illuvatar, which as Time wears even the Powers shall envy."  (Of the Beginning of Days)

They are called the "Strangers" and the "Guests",
for here their hearts will find no rest,
but yearn for sights as yet unseen
guessed only by a far off dream.

Here they will find no peace,
but strive to progress and never cease.
Forever searching for something akin to their design,
and often stumbling upon the Divine.

For it is in their heart, their being, their mind
to search for something of their kind
and seek to bring it into the world
and let Its golden banner be unfurled.

Their lives are short, a spurt, a burst,
the Strangers, Guests; they ever thirst
for something past earthly confines,
their hearts will never cease to pine.

As seedling sprouts that ever reach
toward the light, their hope to breach
the crushing weight of blackened soil
so too the heft of earthly toil.

~

You can probably tell I was influenced heavily by Tolkien's poem Mythopoeia and even borrowed a few words and phrases such as the "sights as yet unseen".  Also, I used the word "progress" in this poem (gasp!). I don't mean it as Tolkien uses it (he generally used it sarcastically--pointing out that people might think they are progressing but their progress tends towards the dark abyss--see his poem, Mythopoeia).  I mean it as trying to urge others to make positive changes and get closer to Illuvatar's design.

Basically the premise is the contrast between the Elves--who are content within the world--and Men who are always trying to change things and most importantly seek Illuvatar who they have some notion they should be with.

Because I am not as skilled a writer as Tolkien, my poem only has two layers (and yes, it is an allegory).  Just how it mirrors Men in Middle-earth searching for Illuvatar, read on its own, it could also be understood as real Men searching for God, however you want to read it.

This is only my second legitimate poem (other than random scribbles I did when I was six), so let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Great job! It has a nice rhythm to it. Keep working at it! I'm excited to see more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! The poem accurately describes the yearning for more that we humans experience.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That was what I was going for :)

      Delete