Sunday, January 17, 2016

Q&A: Favorite Weapon?

Hmm...a good question from my friend.

From Glamdring to Belthronding, there are so many unique weapons in Middle-earth which I find fascinating.  I would say that my favorite weapon is...Anduril.

Anduril is Aragorn's sword reforged from the shards of Narsil.  It's blade actually cut the Ring from Sauron's finger in the Second Age.  It was taken to Rivendell and reforged.  It was renamed Anduril, which means "Flame of the West."

This is my favorite weapon because it is very symbolic.

Isildur originally owned Narsil and was able to cut the Ring from Sauron's finger.   But he was corrupted by the Ring's influence, and his sword was broken.  Aragorn, his heir, was able to "face the same evil and defeat it" and the sword was reforged for him.  The race of Men was redeemed through his actions and Anduril symbolizes that.

The sword was the spark that united the Men of Middle-earth and specifically Gondor.  The fact that it dealt Sauron his original "death" blow gave them hope that it could be done again.  Men were crying that "the sword reforged shall come to Minas Tirith!"  It was the spark that ignited the flame, so to speak.

Aragorn is also one of my favorite characters, so that could be another reason it is my favorite.

I've been reading a lot of stories of King Arthur and his knights, and in writing this article, I started thinking about the significance of kings and their swords.  King Arthur's sword Excalibur and Aragorn's Anduril are kind of similar.  Only the true king is able to wield the sword.  King Arthur was the only one who could draw the sword from the stone and Elrond refused to reforge Narsil until Aragorn came around.

You should check out this Man at Arms: Reforged video where these smiths recreate Anduril.


Remember that if you have any questions--whether it be about my personal opinion or a general question about Middle-earth--leave a comment.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment