Sunday, December 27, 2015

Tales from Valinor: Authenticity

Okay, so I realized that this whole "Tale from Valinor" thing might not really make much sense.  I'm not exactly clear on how the whole sailing to Valinor/dying and returning to Valinor/going to the Halls of Mandos etc. really works.  I guess my original notion was that elves would be reincarnated once they died and would live out the rest of the days in Valinor until the final song of the Ainur after a brief repose in the Halls of Mandos.  But after reading some stuff about how Finrod Felagund was one of the only known instances where this happened, I got kind of confused about how it would all work.  For example, would it be possible for Idril and Frodo to ever meet?  Or would Idril live in the Halls of Mandos until the final song?

Also I read directly from Tolkien that Galadriel (for sure, I'm not sure about others descended from the Noldor) would only be allowed to go to Tol Eressea.  Does this mean elves like Legolas and Elrond would not be allowed to Valinor?  Did Frodo actually go to Valinor or Tol Eressea?

There are numerous opinions on this subject and I'm planning on doing some research about what exactly happens when elves die or sail into the west.  In any case, it is difficult to say for sure that these meetings between Frodo and other famous elves could theoretically transpire.  If anyone has a source in favor or against this idea, please let me know!  I try to make my fanfiction as accurate as possible (though I do stray at times like I mentioned with the Palantir incident) and this would be a valuable piece of information.

The bottom line is that I don't want to go on with these tales until I know that they are authentically based in canon...so until I have that all straightened out there will be no more tales.  That doesn't mean there won't be more fan fiction...I am hoping to start writing some new ones, just maybe without the whole Valinor part.  I am kind of bummed though because I really did like that template.

Also, producing one fanfic each week might not work into my schedule, so I may have to reduce my number...quality over quantity!  Anyway, sorry to everyone expecting a tale...but good things are worth waiting for I suppose!

So what do you think?  Is the whole question of the accuracy kind of irrelevant?  Is it really that important to be technically correct or should I just keep going even though it may not be completely authentic?  Do you know anything about where elves go and he whole Tol Eressea/Valinor issue?  Please let me know what you think the next step should be.  Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Apology accepted! I wish you the best of luck in your researching journey! I will report back with anything I find about... anything lol :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! I'm starting my Hobbit/LOTR marathon today! Yay! Hopefully I'll stay awake during the whole thing haha! Wish me luck! :D

      Delete
    2. Wow! That is ambitious! Good luck...let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
    3. I will! Already done with the Hobbit movies! I'm going to watch the extended editions of LOTR that I got for Christmas. So excited! :D

      Delete
  2. Good progress! The extended scenes I have seen have really been a great addition--let me know what you think of them!

    ReplyDelete