Monday, December 7, 2015

Frustration!

Yesterday was Sunday, yes?  Yes.  Okay, so I went to Mass at the regular time of 9:00am and it was a dandy time.  Christmas bazaar and all that fun stuff.

There was also an alternative Mass for my bible group to go to at 6:00pm, but since I had already gone that morning, I decided to opt out.

Lo and behold, the priest talks about Lord of the Rings in his homily.

And this is not even the first time this has happened to me!  He has done it before at another Mass I was not at (because I went to the Saturday night vigil).  

What are the odds?

My friend was at said Mass last night and I asked him if he could tell me what the priest was saying in his homily, but my friend couldn't hear because he had to do some serving things in the other room.  He said he heard snatches of things like "Faramir" and "Lord of the Rings" and that is basically it, but that the priest was for sure talking about it for a good ten minutes. 

I will be seeing this priest on Friday for a retreat, so I am planning on talking to him about this issue. I'll be sure to report back with my findings. 

5 comments:

  1. Ugh! I know how you feel! I was at a mass where Bishop Robert Barron was doing the next one but I didn't know. The next day my mom showed me his homily on YouTube and I was so sad that I wasn't there! :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's really disappointing :(
      But I'm glad you were able to see it on YouTube anyway.

      Delete
  2. Oh, bummer! Would have been cool to hear LOTR talked about in regards to the Faith. I take it a homily is like a sermon? I've never attended a mass, so I'm not familiar with the terminology. ;)

    On a slightly related topic- have you ever read the "Lessons to be Learned from the Lord of the Rings" posts on my blog? They're all about learning Godly lessons from the character arcs in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a homily is very similar to a sermon. There have actually been a number of talks and lectures about LOTR from a religious POV, like https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pio5pf-Eoi8 and others.

      I have not read that post, but it sounds really interesting and I will soon!

      Delete