Saturday, November 21, 2015

30 Day Challenge Day XXI

Saddest Death

I never cry when I watch movies (unless it's the scene in the Grey Havens) and even less when I read books, but this scene actively makes me cry.  Not just tears brimming, but actually flowing tears.

"Then [he] was aroused into a sudden wakefulness of rage and fear, and seeing one bending over him with naked blade he leapt up with a great cry, believing that Orcs were come again to torment him; and grappling with him in the darkness he seized Anglachel, and slew Beleg Cuthalion thinking him a foe...But has he stood, finding himself free, and ready to sell his life dearly against imagined foes, there came a great flash of lightning above them; and in its light he looked down on Beleg's face.  Then Turin stood stonestill and silent, staring on that dreadful death, knowing what he had done; and so terrible was his face, lit by the lightning that flickered all about them, that Gwindor covered down upon the ground and dared not raise his eyes...he sat unmoving and unweeping in the tempest beside the body of Beleg Cuthalion....thus ended Beleg Stronbgoow, truest of friends, greatest in skill of all that harboured in the woods of Beleriand in the Elder Days, at the hand of him whom he most loved; and that grief was graven on the face of Turn and never faded...he made a song for Beleg, and he named it Laer Cu Beleg, the Song of the Great Bow, singing it aloud heedless of peril."

I was actually tearing up as I typed this...so...sad!

For those of you unfamiliar with the backstory, Hurin was a great warrior in the First Age.  He was captured by the First Dark Lord, Morgoth, and his family was cursed.  In this scene, Turin, Hurin's son, killed his best friend Beleg.  Turin had been tormented by orcs and Beleg rescued him.  As Beleg was cutting Turin's bonds, Turin awoke and saw the sword.  He thought he was still with the orcs and so he quickly attacked, killing his best friend.

"I will not say do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

3 comments:

  1. That is so sad! Is that in The Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin? I have the Silmarillion but not the Children of Hurin... I think my favorite saddest death(so far) is when Boromir dies. I get teary-eyed because he admitted he tried to take the ring to Aragorn and he was sorry. He was able to die in peace knowing that he made up for that "sin". I read an article on Word on Fire but I forgot where it was :'( I'll look for it and send it to you so you can read it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This excerpt is from The Silmarillion in the chapter Of Túrin Turambar. Boromir's death is very sad, but it also happy--Boromir did confess and Aragorn "absolved" him. I guess it is pretty bittersweet. I would love to see that article if you can find it!

      Delete