Saturday, November 7, 2015

30 Day Challenge Day VII

Favorite Weapon

While I do love swords--a lot--my favorite weapon is actually a bow, the bow of Beleg Cúthalion in The Silmarillion which is called Belthronding.  Cúthalion actually means "strongbow" in Sindarin, and Beleg is famous because of it.  There isn't much in The Silmarillion about the bow specifically, so I guess I just like it because it represents Beleg.

Runners up include Andúril, the Flame of the West reformed from the Shards of Narsíl and Aeglos, the spear of Gil-Galad.  Have you ever noticed whenever Aragorn meets someone he automatically proclaims his lineage and the name of his sword?  (At least in the books.  He's a bit more humble in the movies.). I guess it's just that important. Gil-galad's spear was famous enough to warrant a line in The Fall of Gil-galad: "his sword was long his lance was keen...".

One sword I dislike a lot is Anglachel, forged by Eöl the Dark Elf.  It's creepy because it speaks and it kills Beleg and Túrin and Brandir and a whole lot of other people.  It is also called the Mormegil or black sword and represents Túrin, a character I can never really decide if I like or not.

My least favorite weapon is Tuor's axe.  Come on, an axe?!  But I have already done a rant--I mean post--about this so I won't get into it here.

What is your favorite weapon?  One of the above mentioned?  Or maybe something entirely different Ike Sting, Glamdring, Legolas' bow or his fighting knife.  Whatever it is, leave a comment and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. STING!!! Have to love Sting if you're a Baggins... which I am ;)

    ReplyDelete