Tuesday, November 3, 2015

30 Day Challenge Day III

Favorite Quote

Hmm...there are so many good quotes!

One of my favorite types of quotes are the witty and daring ones, of which Fëanor is renowned.  

"Get thee gone and take your due place!  See, half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls." 

Or Aulë: 

After he and Yavanna argue about the relative merits of Yavanna's creatures (particularly the trees for whom she wants to establish a guardian--the ents): "'Eru is bountiful,' she [Yavanna] said.  'Now let thy children beware!  For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'  'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aule, and he went on with his smith work."

Of course there are the deep and thought-provoking quotes particularly in The Return of the King like:

"Death is just another path; one that we all must take.  The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it...white shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

Or from The Fellowship:

"'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'"

And of course the speeches are amazing:

"'Hold your ground!  Hold your ground!    Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!'"

"'Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!'"

Oh and the poems, the poems!

"Farewell sweet earth and northern sky,
forever blessed since here did lie
and here with lissom limbs did run
beneath the moon, beneath the sun,
Luthien Tinuviel,
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world,
and were dissolved and backward hurled,
unmade into the old abyss,
yet were it's making good for this,
the dusk the dawn,
the earth the sea,
that Luthien for a time should be."

"I heard the 'unfathomed breath,
of the horns of Y'mir calling,
and shall hear them 'till my death."


I don't know how I'm going to choose!  (This is good problem to have!)

I may have to go with...ugh this is so hard!

Okay I honestly cannot decide.  This is one of my favorite quotes but may not be my favorite because obviously I am extremely indecisive.  This is the second out of the five poems I memorized, and is recited by a certain Mr. Samwise Gamgee in The Return of the King.

"Though here at journey's end I lie
In darkness buried deep,
Beyond all towers strong and high,
Beyond all mountains steep,
Above all shadows rides the sun,
And stars forever dwell,
I will not say the day is done,
Nor bid the stars farewell."

Really all of the above quotes are my favorites.  What is your favorite quote?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE! But I think my favorite quote is by Sam:

    "It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass."

    By far, Sam is my favorite character to quote! : )

    ReplyDelete